Corey Hudson

Vacumn Siren

Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:39 am

Anyone thought of modifying a Vacumn into a siren. Some of those commercial hoovers can make a siren prolly comparable to a Model 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7kZFjckglY&NR=1
-Corey-

Adam Pollak
YouTube Username: CrazySirenBoy

Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:24 am

What he is doing actually is using a small stream of compressed air and is letting the vacuum impeller windmill. The airstream spins the impeller and the blades act as choppers to create the siren noise pulses.
http://youtube.com/CrazySirenBoy
Proud owner of: Thunderbolt 1003, Thunderbolt 1000, STH-10A, Model 5BT, Model 5B, Model 3B, Model 2T (noon daily @ 1/2 voltage), Model 2, Decot, Sterling Little Giant

jerrylovessirens

Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:29 am

Yep, as Adam said, you are, in fact creating a siren with this setup due to the interupted air blast

Corey Hudson

Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:43 am

True, But what i meant in the beginning is the feasibility of creating a fully functioning 2000-20,000 Rpm siren.:oops:

I would think someone with a metal lathe could easily create a stator for that. That would be some tight tolerances though. :wink:
-Corey-

acoustics101

Re: Vacumn Siren

Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:38 pm

I have thought of this. What you are seeing in the video is simply blowing compressed air into the rotating blower vanes against the flow. This is very inefficient.

What I have in mind is to build a close fitting housing around the rotor with ports lining up with every other blower vane and closing off the vanes in between with circular pieces of metal of the same radius as the rotor. The blower would need to have an even number of vanes. The siren would then be self powered and totally motor driven. A horn could then be added to each port for added output. It would be important that the horns would be large enough to have a cutoff frequency at least as low as the tone it would produce at maximum RPM. One way to ensure that the cutoff frequency of the horns would be low enough is to have horns tilted from the ports as in the American Signal Cyclone.

I believe a "Hoover" siren would make for a rather impressive DIY project and serve as a great burglar alarm.

Corey Hudson wrote:Anyone thought of modifying a Vacumn into a siren. Some of those commercial hoovers can make a siren prolly comparable to a Model 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7kZFjckglY&NR=1
The most overlooked opportunities are in the learning of and improvement in old technologies.

Richard Weisenberger

Return to “Videos and Media”