Justin

Lookie what I found!

Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:08 pm

Up until now, the (what seems to be) standard fire siren issued to most New South Wales Rural Fire Service stations is a Federal Signal Model look a-like, probably made by the same mob that created the "Wailing Joe" for those that remember my reconditioning of it (which, by the way, has been replaced with a couple of air horns :evil: ).

Next time I drive by there, I'll get up close to it and get some better shots (maybe even an ID plate). Would like to have my RFS confirmation stuff before I go loitering around. ;)

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm29 ... 214153.jpg

Anyone know what this one is? I have no clue to what it may be. It has a "dimple" at the top of it which isn't consistent with any Federal type or knock-off that I have come across. Unfortunately the one at Narrandera Fire Station (NSW Fire Brigades, different mob so probably a different supplier) is too high up to tell if it has the same feature.

A wider angle shot to give a sense of size:
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm29 ... 214156.jpg

bwillcox

Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:08 pm

The siren looks to be about the right size for a Model 5 or knockoff thereof, probably a knockoff before a recase because of the dimple.

See if it has a name plate on it once you get your Rural papers and can then reconnoiter at will without getting interrogated(*) by the police.

-b-

(*was going to say 'nicked' but that's incorrect usage by my understanding of QE)
"Highland Village to Chief 480..Are the sirens going off? We're not sure if we set them off right or not." :lol:

coop866

Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:00 pm

It reminds me of a GSC siren. But I think the dome is bigger one GSCs.

Rob Mast

Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:06 am

You should also post this in the "Lowest Mounted Siren in the US" thread. Even if it is in Wales (?) that thing is low.
Rob Mast

Daniel

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:01 am

Bugger of a place name. This siren is definitely inspired by an American design, but I bet that it's Australian. Then again, the French had their long-horn-projector sirens 20 years before the STH/L series was manufactured.

By the way, New South Wales is a long way from Wales.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Justin

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:21 am

bwillcox wrote:(*was going to say 'nicked' but that's incorrect usage by my understanding of QE)
Haha! You are correct, but it isn't used much, if at all Down-Under. That seems to be more of a Queen's Country thing. ;)

It's quite likely I'll be heading through there quite soon as it's the way I use to head down to visit my grandfather who, unfortunately, is in his last days. Just hoping that things get better, and if not, it doesn't drag on.

We'll see.
Rob Mast wrote:Even if it is in Wales (?) that thing is low.
Burrumbuttock, New South Wales, Australia. I'd be funny to see that thing go off while the volunteers are getting the trucks ready for a call-out. It'd be nice to have at our station too, though we're pager called. From what I understand, we would have little use for one anyway.

If you look at the link (Street View), you'll notice that the siren isn't mounted on the building. But there looks to be a smaller siren on top of the silver shed just to the left (and I didn't notice). Will definitely keep my eyes peeled next time I'm out there. Google doesn't time stamp their Street View images but by the looks of the condition of the siren, it's a fairly recent installation.
Last edited by Justin on Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Justin

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:29 am

Daniel wrote:Bugger of a place name.
"Howlong" and "Table Top" aren't too far away. :wink: :lol:

Daniel

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:15 am

Justin wrote:
Daniel wrote:Bugger of a place name.
"Howlong" and "Table Top" aren't too far away. :wink: :lol:
Here in Oregon we have some strange town names like Boring, Drain, Drewsey, Arock (named after a large rock formation), and Talent, but the closest thing to name like Burrumbuttock is probably up in Humptulips, Washington.

FYI, Drewsey, along with Shaniko, do not have fire sirens. They have 1880's-vintage wooden bell towers with manual ropes that are still used to call volunteers.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

bwillcox

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:53 am

We have a "Drop" and a "Dish" in Denton County. (Neither have sirens)
"Highland Village to Chief 480..Are the sirens going off? We're not sure if we set them off right or not." :lol:

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:45 pm

bwillcox wrote:We have a "Drop" and a "Dish" in Denton County. (Neither have sirens)
I feel that Cut and Shoot, TX takes the cake.
-The Princess

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”