Whelen Rules

San Fransico sirens

Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:25 pm

I thought san fransico had ATIs but this recording from their website is mechanical http://www.72hours.org/sirens.html Do they have a mixed system?
Tyler Lund

jkvernon

Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:41 pm

The San Francisco ATIs use a recording of an STL10 since that's what they used to have there.

Daniel

Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:12 pm

I didn't know ATIs could do anything except the sounds that they come with. That recordings sound exactly like an STL-10, but not an electronic. I think the recording is of the old system.

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:51 pm

Daniel wrote:I didn't know ATIs could do anything except the sounds that they come with. That recordings sound exactly like an STL-10, but not an electronic. I think the recording is of the old system.
You are correct.

San Francisco sent off one of their old STL10s to ATI to record onto the chip (or whatever) to make them sound like that.

Chad

Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:32 am

I took a pic or two when I was out there, recently. If you look closely, it appears that an electromechanical siren was mounted there several years ago.

AlarmRepair

Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:59 am

Im sorry but that is extremley pathetic to replace a SD10 or STH10 with that electornic sspeaker array piece of junk!! embarrassing!!

Brendan Ahern

Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:38 am

I agree, the exposed cables are a nice touch. It just looks like they bought some automotive speakers and mounted them to a steel frame. Looks more like a junior high science project then anything remotely resembling a siren. What a joke. Go look at a whelen or a federal modulator, look at the engineering that went into them. I pass 2 6 cell mods every day, the one by my house behind wrigley field, and the one at lincoln park zoo. They are HUGE. And they are built solid. You dont see any cables anywhere, except for the utility service. Everything is in conduit. And what a CHEAP install. Using not only the same pole, but the same mounting bracket as the old siren. The intake for the old stl is still on the pole. There is nothing that gets me more mad then seeing something half assed like that. If you are going to attempt something, do it right the first time. Go talk to a town that paid the price for a professional siren installation and ask them how happy they have been with it. Then go talk to SF about all the problems they are having.

jkvernon

Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:44 am

I found a news article where San Francisco is sueing ATI because bacically they did a crappy job. There are major gaps that shouldn't be there, half the sirens still don't work, and they don't want to fix the problem, just install more sirens. I'll have to look it up again.

jkvernon

Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:00 am

Here's one pretty detailed video about the issue and it's appearently a big issue. I just love seeing what the combination of San Francisco's dysfunction and ATI's lack of integrity has become. Cracks me up!

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sectio ... id=3627030#

And here's another.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sectio ... id=3636119

Whelen Rules

Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:07 am

ATI is the most pitifull siren company I have ever seen!!! There are people in Nashville who live half a mile or more and can't hear these sirens. I live a half mile away from a Whelen Vortex R-4 and its so loud I could hear it clearly in my house with the windows up, when im outside I can also hear another Vortex that is a mile and a half away and one that is 2 miles away and I can still hear them clearly! And a good point is look at Whelens design they have a electronic siren that produces tone below a range of 600 hz, 465 hz when in alert. Also look at the designs of both the Federal Modulator and Whelens they both actually took time to design and create not just throwing speakers on a pole and calling it a siren.
Tyler Lund

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”