tachi88

US Air Force Systems

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:05 am

Here's a photo I found on the Ellsworth AFB page.

Looks like a Whelen WPS2910. (Not my photo)

Davis-Monthan AFB http://www.airraidsirens.com/forums/vie ... php?t=8182

If anyone has any more bases please post them.
Proud owner of a Thunderbolt 1000A

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:10 am

I work at robins AFB, and we have a system of modulators and DSA's. We also have 8 silent Thunderbolts scattered around the base.

I have a couple of vids of the mods on my YT channel, so you can see how crappy they are.

TBOLT1000

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:25 pm

westover air reserve base in chicopee massachusetts has 3-5 WPS2803`s. there is also a model 5 or model 3 but I`m not sure if it is used as it is on an old section of the base that is no longer actually part of the base. I don`t know when they are tested though.
Last edited by TBOLT1000 on Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of a Thunderbolt 1000A, Model LV, and a Model J.

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:26 pm

Reese Air Force Base near Lubbock, TX, used to have a system of Model 2s, a Model 5, and a 10V back when it was still open. This is where I acquired my Model 2.

Cannon Air Force Base near Clovis, NM, has a system of Whelens (2800s I believe).

Hacksaw

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:10 am

Travis AFB has Modulators. I helped to wire them up a few years ago.

woodyrr
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:38 am

Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma City used to have a system of dual tone Thunderbolts.

They now have a system of dual tone Modulators. At one time, they also had at least one Federal SiraTone 612, but it can no longer be viewed from public property.

The sirens are used daily in the morning playing "Reveille" followed by a military march and again in the evening playing "Retreat" followed by the "National Anthem". I have never heard "Taps"

The system is tested for several minutes every Wednesday at noon in the "alert" mode. After the last test that I heard there was a voice announcement. This is the first voice announcement that I have heard since the sirens were installed several years ago. The nearest siren is about a mile away and I was unable to ascertain what was being said.

I have only heard them used for an actual emergency during Tornado Warnings. They used to sound "alert", but within the past few years, they have been using "attack".

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:19 pm

ALL US bases are being switched over to voice capable alerting systems. In fact, most have finished by this point.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:30 pm

woodyrr wrote:
I have only heard them used for an actual emergency during Tornado Warnings. They used to sound "alert", but within the past few years, they have been using "attack".
USAF standards dictate that attack only be used for actual enemy attacks, they should use alert for natural disasters.

CJ

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:02 pm

woodyrr wrote:This is the first voice announcement that I have heard since the sirens were installed several years ago. The nearest siren is about a mile away and I was unable to ascertain what was being said.
There's the Modulator's reputation right there for you.
~Charlie J.

Daniel

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:43 pm

The part of the (U.S. Army) Umatilla Chemical Depot that is visible from I-84 in northeastern Oregon contains one visible Model 5, but numerous WPS2910's are scattered throughout the region in the towns of Hermiston, Irrigon, Umatilla, Echo, Stanfield, and the surrounding country to warn of nerve agent leaks. They regularly malfunction and can speak in Spanish.
Last edited by Daniel on Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”