Jim_Ferer

Tue May 04, 2010 7:41 pm

I'm a little surprised that the "salvage" is up in the air. In civil construction, the contractor gets the salvage and can profit or lose by it. For example, we had a project where we had to take out these huge rotary AC/DC converters. They belonged to us after we removed them. We saw all that copper inside and thought we'd make some bucks on it, but we actually took a bath on that item because the copper is so hard to get out of the unit the recyclers won't give you much for it. In other words, in my industry the owners give the contractors the problem to deal with.

Jpressman8

Tue May 04, 2010 10:38 pm

carexpertandy wrote:
Jpressman8 wrote:I will be trying to get the White Oak 1000T in my video and maybe one of the very old 2001s in an attempt to maybe modify it. :twisted:. Not sure yet.
But wouldn't all of the 2001s be staying?
Not 100% sure on that one that is why I stated an older one. They may have to order parts from Federal to upgrade them.
five liter V8

Jim_Ferer

Wed May 05, 2010 6:01 pm

Any idea on when ASC will get the Notice to Proceed?

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Wed May 05, 2010 7:32 pm

Jpressman8 wrote:
carexpertandy wrote:
Jpressman8 wrote:I will be trying to get the White Oak 1000T in my video and maybe one of the very old 2001s in an attempt to maybe modify it. :twisted:. Not sure yet.
Not 100% sure on that one that is why I stated an older one. They may have to order parts from Federal to upgrade them.
When I count every 2001 I have on my map on Bing, it seems that I have 32 of them. Is it possible to have all of the new equipment on an older 2001-DC?
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

Jpressman8

Wed May 05, 2010 9:24 pm

carexpertandy wrote:
Jpressman8 wrote:
carexpertandy wrote:
When I count every 2001 I have on my map on Bing, it seems that I have 32 of them. Is it possible to have all of the new equipment on an older 2001-DC?
I talked to Clayton yesterday and he said they would probably have to order parts from Federal to upgrade them or fabricate.
five liter V8

Jpressman8

Thu May 06, 2010 3:49 am

Jim_Ferer wrote:Any idea on when ASC will get the Notice to Proceed?
Not sure yet Jim. I'm sure it will be soon. 30 sirens are to be delivered by May 24th and are to be stored at EMA's location and the other 110 coming in August. The install may be another bid process since the bid that was approved was a direct purchase from ASC which cut Werden Electric out of the loop. From what I understand production on the T-128s is already underway.
five liter V8

Jim_Ferer

Thu May 06, 2010 11:48 am

Come to think of it, they may not be that sophisticated as to have a Notice to Proceed. Normally contract clocks don't start to run until the notice to proceed has been sent. If you do anything beforehand, it's entirely "at risk," which means the owner can repudiate any part of it and not pay for it, though that's rare.

I was impressed throughout this saga how loose their purchasing procedures are compared with what I'm used to. I understand I'm in a different industry but public purchasing is public purchasing. Most of this nonsense could have been prevented if the EMA had been more professional and procedures enforced.

If I had to buy a siren system, I'd have issued an RFP and the bidders would have to present how they intend to perform the contract and provide a working system. It's only after that the bidders get into the financials. In construction, a lot of transit systems are bought this way.

Jpressman8

Thu May 06, 2010 4:36 pm

I think a lot of this confusion was due to EMA inexperience with the bid process and the county letting the EMA control the bid writing instead of letting the county engineer do it with EMAs consultation etc. Cincinnati politics is a messed up affair. Most of the time with city council meetings half of the meeting is spent arguing over who has the floor.
five liter V8

Jim_Ferer

Thu May 06, 2010 5:18 pm

That's why they should have a contracts and purchasing department that guides the other departments through the process. Somebody has to know how the system should work, and it's frankly not the EMA's job to be acquisition experts. They should know about public safety and disaster relief. There should be someone to help them and make sure the system makes sense and is complied with.

Jpressman8

Thu May 06, 2010 10:23 pm

Exactly. EMA should have got the proper officials and engineers together and said we need a system that can do this and that etc. There was absolutely no consultation between EMA, purchasing, and commissioners. They gave autonomy completely to the EMA staff.
five liter V8

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”