Thunderboltlover
YouTube Username: thunderboltlover

Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:59 pm

In response to the previous two replies, the crane service "only" costs $300, not the full $550. The extra $250 would go to hiring an electrician to disconnect service and remove the control cabinets before the main siren unit is even removed.

Eric (Greene), thanks for mentioning that. That's what I intend to do if the district will not let me in there before the demolition contractors arrive. I will try and offer them some $$$ and see if they can pull it off the roof before they fully blast the school to pieces.
Proud owner of a Thunderbolt 1003

SirenSynthsInc

Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:04 pm

Allertor113 wrote:
SirenSynthsInc wrote:I think 550 is a little to expensive around these parts.... The Siren removal services around here only ask around 300 to remove an old thunderbolt.
Well, You have to think about the 1003's location. Its on top of a school. If it were to fall and crash through the roof and injure someone working down there, They would be liable for the injuries. So they have to charge extra for the risk.
Well you have me there. That is quite a risk.
Account Closed

Thunderboltlover

Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:13 am

SirenSynthsInc wrote:
Allertor113 wrote:
SirenSynthsInc wrote:I think 550 is a little to expensive around these parts.... The Siren removal services around here only ask around 300 to remove an old thunderbolt.
Well, You have to think about the 1003's location. Its on top of a school. If it were to fall and crash through the roof and injure someone working down there, They would be liable for the injuries. So they have to charge extra for the risk.
Well you have me there. That is quite a risk.
True, there is certainly plenty of risk in a removal like this; however, the school is currently just sitting there with everything sort of ready for demolition. If the siren crashed through the roof, the district would get a bit surprised that the cable broke/siren slipped, but they probably wouldn't care as long as nobody got hurt since the school will be demolished anyway.

Jim_Ferer

Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:07 pm

They also won't care because you'll have to give them a certificate of insurance showing that they are an "additional insured," which means that you have to defend them and pay any liabilities arising from what you do. Your insurance covers their exposure, in other words. The erector/dismantler takes care of that, usually, and the cost is on you. It's not a big ticket item.

weasel2htm
YouTube Username: weasel2htm

Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:11 pm

Too bad you can't get to the siren before hand, If it were me I'd be wanting to get up there a few days before and spray everything with PB Blaster, to make the removal easier.

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:56 am

Too bad you can't get to the siren before hand, If it were me I'd be wanting to get up there a few days before and spray everything with PB Blaster, to make the removal easier.
I doubt if these guys would take time to unbolt a lot of stuff. I picture them hooking around the stand pipe, cutting the guy wires and lifting the entire thing off of the roof all at once. That's why I mentioned damage earlier in this thread.
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

Thunderboltlover

Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:56 am

I'm not going to have them remove the head from the standpipe before they remove it other than just cutting through the standpipe and conduit with a hacksaw or whatever (if they can) to save time for both of us and $$$ for me. I will try to get them to just cut it like that (after the crane is hooked up to the head), lift the head down to the parking lot and set it in the trailer, and then cut the conduit to the blower and lift the blower down (standpipe and all) and set it in the trailer. I'll just loosen the eyebolt myself once the blower is down and lay it down in the trailer. If the standpipe is too long, I will just remove and leave all of the standpipe besides the piece that extends from the blower elbow and gets the head just above the blower. That's all I'll need put it back together at home.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”