Daniel

A short tour through eastern Oregon and western Idaho

Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:28 am

Here are a few photos I took on a recent drive. The black spot in some of the photos is a tiny object inside my lens, not a UFO.

Town fire bell in village of Drewsey, Oregon. It appears to have fallen into disuse, and there doesn't seem to be a fire department in this town of about 20 people.

Model 5 at the city hall in Vale, Oregon

16-port Sterling at the fire station in Ontario, Oregon
[/img]

STH-10 in Wilder, Idaho

Darley in Homedale, Idaho

What looks like a Model 3 in Jordan Valley, Oregon

Model 5 on fire station in Burns, Oregon

Darley Model 2 and Model 5 in Hines, Oregon. Burns and Hines form one community and these two sirens sound simultaneously with the Burns siren, usually about 12 cycles of attack for a fire call.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

EL1998P71

Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:23 am

Nice photo's.

Looks like to me a Civil Defense Spotters hut (for searching for air planes)
on top of that building. Since it doesn't match the brickwork of the rest of the building.

Proud Owner of too many sirens, lightbars, civil defense items, and diecast cars

Daniel

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:15 pm

I have recently relocated to Ontario, a town on the Oregon/Idaho border, and I found a second siren a few blocks away from the Sterling on the fire station hose tower: a single tone Model 5 in the center of a small park. Both sirens are about a half mile from my house. I thought that both were no longer used, but I've heard that they may still test the sirens every Tuesday night, but I'll be out of town for a couple of weeks.

In addition, a couple miles over the Idaho border are another Model 5 on what looks like a 50 foot pole in Fruitland, plus a large, white Sentry 10V in Payette. On a quiet night from my house in Ontario, it should be possible to hear any of these sirens. Photos will follow.

Rob Mast

Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:34 pm

That Model 3 in Jordan Valley, Oregon is very interesting. Great Photos!
Rob Mast

Daniel

Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:23 am

Today I discovered a huge Model 7 in Marsing, ID; a Model 5 in Adrian, OR; and in Nyssa, OR, a Model 5 on the fire station and a single-head, 16-port Sterling on the water tower. The 12-port Model 5 seems to be the default siren in Oregon. Again, I'll take photos when I can.

Ziginox

Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:31 am

Sorry wo wake up an old thread, but I have your pic of the Darley in my gallery! I saw the watermark on it but I had no idea what it means. Mind if I keep it there and also add the one from Wilde? I found the pic over at http://archive.civildefensesirens.com/ btw.

My gallery of sirens, mostly taken by me but with a few not. Yours is the only one I have not been cable to contact the author about until now. https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/3570226 ... s?h=b9e374

Daniel

Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:32 am

Kasm279 wrote:Sorry wo wake up an old thread, but I have your pic of the Darley in my gallery! I saw the watermark on it but I had no idea what it means. Mind if I keep it there and also add the one from Wilde? I found the pic over at http://archive.civildefensesirens.com/ btw.

My gallery of sirens, mostly taken by me but with a few not. Yours is the only one I have not been cable to contact the author about until now. https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/3570226 ... s?h=b9e374
Yes, you may, but the town is spelled Wilder, as in Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Ziginox

Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:16 am

Daniel wrote:
Kasm279 wrote:Sorry wo wake up an old thread, but I have your pic of the Darley in my gallery! I saw the watermark on it but I had no idea what it means. Mind if I keep it there and also add the one from Wilde? I found the pic over at http://archive.civildefensesirens.com/ btw.

Yes, you may, but the town is spelled Wilder, as in Laura Ingalls Wilder.
Thanks! Seems whoever put it into the archive missed the r :?

lilrags16
YouTube Username: lilrags16

Re:

Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:50 pm

Daniel wrote:I have recently relocated to Ontario, a town on the Oregon/Idaho border, and I found a second siren a few blocks away from the Sterling on the fire station hose tower: a single tone Model 5 in the center of a small park. Both sirens are about a half mile from my house. I thought that both were no longer used, but I've heard that they may still test the sirens every Tuesday night, but I'll be out of town for a couple of weeks.

In addition, a couple miles over the Idaho border are another Model 5 on what looks like a 50 foot pole in Fruitland, plus a large, white Sentry 10V in Payette. On a quiet night from my house in Ontario, it should be possible to hear any of these sirens. Photos will follow.
Yes, i am dredging up the dead.
The Sentry in Payett is possible to here. Fruitland(THE WORLD MOST JERK INFESTED TOWN)'s siren can be heard. Vale is a rare occurrence.
BTW I live here in Ontario. GO TIGERS!!

EDIT:
Daniel wrote: Sterling on the fire station hose tower
I believe that's the elevator shaft...
Brandon Ragsdale,
Brandon Ragsdale, Some wild kid

Daniel

Re: Re:

Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:28 pm

lilrags16 wrote: Yes, i am dredging up the dead.
The Sentry in Payett is possible to here. Fruitland(THE WORLD MOST JERK INFESTED TOWN)'s siren can be heard. Vale is a rare occurrence.
BTW I live here in Ontario. GO TIGERS!!

EDIT:
Daniel wrote: Sterling on the fire station hose tower
I believe that's the elevator shaft...
Ontario quit using their two sirens before I moved there, and I left there three years ago. There is the Sterling on the fire station as well as a Model 5 in one of the parks - same setup as Nyssa, except their Sterling is an N-5. I don't know if Nyssa still uses theirs, or Adrian (Model 5), but I believe Vale's was shut off after it started blowing breakers. The only sirens I ever heard in that area were from Fruitland and Payette, but maybe you could inquire at the fire department about why the sirens were discontinued. Jordan Valley's is supposedly still in use, and the three Model A's on a plate on the roof of the restaurant in Juntura have been missing for years.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”