pyramid head

Sterling M motor work

Tue May 17, 2011 5:38 pm

Well I took down my Tbolt as the bracket I made for it was about to rip out from the leverage of the horn. The weather here has been pretty wet so I suppose that contributed to it. I will be repainting it as I did a half arse job last year seems how the weather was getting cold and the paint wouldn't set right. I will be donating my STH-10 (restored) to a museum my VFD is going to put up (date to be announced). I head down the interstate on Thursday to get with the chief of Westport VFD about restoring their old Sterling M series for use in their town. The Sterling is on top of a 5 story seed mill so it will have to be dismantled on the spot unless he takes my suggestion of borrowing a ladder truck t olift it off. I'll get back to you with the Sterling project on Thursday~
Last edited by pyramid head on Sat May 21, 2011 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

Bryan

Tue May 17, 2011 11:00 pm

I hope your Sterling siren project goes better than mine did. They don't like to come apart nicely and then they don't like to work with you at all when it comes to pain and putting it back together!
Owner/Operator of SirenTex LLC

Proud of a Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000T, 2t22A, Model 2t, Model 3 Model 5, SD-10, STH-10, American Signal Corp. T-128, Whelen WPS-2750 and too many Whelen Lights

pyramid head

Thu May 19, 2011 6:18 pm

Here are the pics from today, the 2T22 is their current running siren at the station. The Sterling came apart pretty easy, they want me to tinker with the motor and get it running. I fear it may be toast though. This thing was an absolute monster in size and weight, it is older than dirt and certainly made to last! The motor is single phase which threw me off quite a bit, and adds to my concerns of the motors condition given it's age. I had to bring the motor down in pieces because the roof access was only a rectangle cut in the roof with a box that goes over the top of it >_<

pyramid head

Fri May 20, 2011 10:37 pm

So it would appear the motor is a boat anchor, when power is applied it hums. I am going to try adjusting the brush retainer a few degrees and see if I get any results, but I am not expecting anything. Time to start looking for a replacement motor...

pyramid head

Sat May 21, 2011 12:07 am

Adjusting the brush retainer worked, there's alot of arching though. I am going to have the commutator turned as it is in rough shape.

Mac

Sat May 21, 2011 6:38 pm

What a beast!
Sterling M-5, Sterling Mechanical Siren Timer, Federal Electric Co. Type B, Federal C3 1/2, Secomak VS1, Federal Type A (Coded & Standard), AF Timer, various other sirens \ controls

pyramid head

Tue May 24, 2011 10:43 pm

Okay, she is at the shop. Quoted between $100 and $150, and I might have a little side job now.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”