Brendan Ahern

Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:25 am

The color has nothing to do with the county...the county does not own or maintain those sirens, the city of romeoville does. In the Chicago area, towns are responsible for their own sirens. Naperville, which is just a little north or romeoville did the same thing, except a different color. They have at least one brown tbolt and most of their 2001's are also dark brown. The newest ones are just regular 2001 gray though. But romeovilles sirens and napervilles sirens definately came from the factory like that, they are powder coated. I have seen several of them up close and personal. Havent seen any yellow series b's in romeoville yet though, I dont think theyve installed in a couple years. They have been pretty good about covering new areas as its being developed, not after it has already been developed. Southern Will county does have a siren system consisting of new ASC sirens. I saw a new t-128 in shorewood the other day. Along with an RM-130 that has been there for awhile. There are a good few p-50's too. Plainfield went absolutely overboard on their sirens. Most are p-50's placed a mile or so apart. Recently all new installs have been t-128's though. That is due to that nasty 1990 tornado that all but wiped plainfield off the map. A friend of mine lives there and i swear they are always the first to set off sirens for severe weather.

SirenMadness

Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:28 am

Sorry. My main point, though, was that it is the responsibility of the area, which is the city, as you state.
~ Peter Radanovic

AlarmRepair

Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:50 am

I like that yellow.. Red would be cool too. It's that boring gray I don't like.

Somewhere I have a bulletin from the 1950's on a SD10 and 5T that says all dual tone sirens must be painted yellow for Civil Defense. Althought this rule doesn't apply today I think some still paint sirens yellow because what else is there? Red would mean fire. Yellow is civil defense and gray really means nothing.

kswx29

Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:45 pm

There is a couple of Yellow 2001s here in Topeka...as the picture below proves...

MIKEY

almost had a thunderbeam video

Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:28 pm

in reference to the question of thunderbeam videos, i almost had one from Kiowa Kansas when they did their noon test. my watch was not on the right time so before i could get the cam to video it, it started up. oh well maybe i will get it next time i am there.

ThunderboltFreak

Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:30 am

thanx anyways. :D

AllSafe

Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:45 am

Kiowa is the only place I remember seeing a Thunderbeam, it was when I was eight or nine years old when I visited the town.

Thunderbolt 612

Take a look at this 2001!

Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:15 am

In addition to the brown sirens in Naperville and the yellow sirens in Romeoville, there is a town called Forsyth, where their sirens are painted a forest green color, as stated from the old board.

kswx29

Re: Take a look at this 2001!

Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:21 am

Thunderbolt 612 wrote:In addition to the brown sirens in Naperville and the yellow sirens in Romeoville, there is a town called Forsyth, where their sirens are painted a forest green color, as stated from the old board.
:roll: Was it really necessary to bring up a 4 month old topic just for something we all already know? But i guess i might as well say this, i seen a blue Yes! a blue 2001 in some town in Oklahoma (Sorry all i know is that it was along US-75)...i was pretty shocked.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”