MattDean1003

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:21 am

Kid, we're all here to help you learn this...that's what the board is for. As was just stated, it takes quite a bit to restore one from the ground up and getting it fully operational again. It's a lot of dangerous chemicals that you want to use gloves using...paint thinner, for example, is NOT something that you want to breathe in or get on your hands. Paint stripper is also really bad for you. Like I said, we're not here to knock you, we're just here to help you. There have been countless kids that wanted to buy sirens, like I said before, who claimed they needed them for their town and really just wanted them as playtoys, so we're here to help you really learn about them, what they do, how they work and what they're intended for.

No, I am not a moderator, before anyone asks...I'm too scared of spiders to be one lol
James M. Dean

sirenita

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:40 am

okay maybe because I didn't get into sirens until a good 14 years after moving out of my parents' house, but I just don't see why you're so insistent on your parents buying you a siren.

if I remember correctly, at first you were looking to buy sirens for your community and/or to convince your EMA director to buy sirens. seems like you're after the gratification of owning a siren and not considering the responsibilities involved. there are some wonderful people on these boards who own sirens, install sirens, maintain sirens, and know a LOT about everything connected to sirens. these are the people you want to observe and learn from. and observe dillon et al, who are still living at home and pursuing the hobby, and the challenges they face. you'll learn so much and become a much better siren enthusiast that way. and if you just watch and learn and read over the next few years, when you finally get out on your own and are in a place to own your own siren(s) and do EMA work like you want, you'll be so much more proficient than if you just got a siren now and messed about with it.
chicks like sirens, too.

TboltTX1
YouTube Username: TboltTX1, Sentry40V2T

Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:07 pm

I know how bad you want a siren. I have been there before, but it took me three years to get mine. And that is nothing compared to the seven years CDV777-1 spent obtaining his 1003. You also have to keep in mind how money and labor consuming a restoration can be. I am not even mentioning how insanely heavy a full size siren can be. They may look small way up there but when you look at one up close and personal you'll get a better idea of what your dealing with. I'm not against you having a siren, I'm just helping you better understand what you are dealing with.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:39 pm

Kid start off small, don't start off big. The big ones can squash you like a bug if they fall on you. This is coming from someone who has owned lots of sirens too, so I know what I'm talking about.

Matt
Administrator
Administrator

Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:08 pm

holler wrote: The big ones can squash you like a bug if they fall on you.
You mean like a spot-and-tiger bug? :lol:
videogamer
Matt Ullman

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:36 pm

More like splat and tiger bug

tachi88

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:08 pm

When I was your age I wanted a siren as bad as you do now, I am glad I didn't get it until later in life.

Restoring my thunderbolt so far has cost me over $1,000 in supplies, tools, services, not to mention hours of back breaking labor. ((And mine is only going to a museum for static display!))

There would have been no way for me to do that with the allowance I received plus school.

I am not trying to shoot you down or tell you to "give your hopes up" I am just saying make sure you can really handle such a complex project before jumping right in.

Or in other terms "don't bite off more then you can chew."
Proud owner of a Thunderbolt 1000A

spotandtiggerbug

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:07 pm

Yeah, I know about that. My parents agreed to get me something, and I saw some Model X's on eBay :D Hmm... A or L? Dont remember... I'll see if its cheap.

Crazywarriorman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: crazywarriorman

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:34 pm

spotandtiggerbug wrote:Yeah, I know about that. My parents agreed to get me something, and I saw some Model X's on eBay :D Hmm... A or L? Dont remember... I'll see if its cheap.
Model As, Ds, or Ls are great starter sirens.
Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.

Allertor113
YouTube Username: RLDproductions

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:53 pm

spotandtiggerbug wrote:Yeah, I know about that. My parents agreed to get me something, and I saw some Model X's on eBay :D Hmm... A or L? Dont remember... I'll see if its cheap.
I agree with Luke, I'v never had the chance to start off small with an A,D,or L I jumped right in with a SD-10, Start small and work your way up to the big ones.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”