SirenMadness

Tue May 23, 2006 2:36 am

I think what that means is that if you don't have any local media running, a siren is the best choice. By the way, sure, some people can hear a siren from their house. I heard a 2001 SRN a mile or so away from my balcony, during a severe thunder-storm. The balcony was also on the opposite side.
~ Peter Radanovic

Robman2ka

Tue May 23, 2006 8:29 pm

well i know sometimes you can hear them in houses, i used to live two blocks away from a thunderbolt 1000, however this video is enforcing the notion that it can be used indoors as a warning, when this is not the siren manufacturers intention.

3T33
New User

Wed May 24, 2006 12:10 pm

That's true. Also, old Civil Defense films (Survival under atomic attack) says they can be heard indoors.

Melvin Potts

Cobb County, GA EMA Video

Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:52 am

I found that video several months ago.

From 1971-1989 I lived in Smyrna, GA, which is part of Cobb County.
When I moved there Cobb had 2 Tbolts in the county seat of Marietta; 1 remains; the other has been replaced by a Whelen WPS 2810.

Shortly after I moved back home Cobb bought the Tbolts which DeKalb County, GA had taken down(friend sent me newspaper article about them).

In recent years Cobb has added a number of Whelen Vortex sirens to its system. When one of the Tbolts quits working, it is usually replaced with a Vortex(or in a few cases a WPS 2810).

I still make two trips a year to the area to visit friends, so I've seen a lot of these sirens.

The city of Smyrna installed its own system in the 70s. Most of those sirens are STH-10s. Smyrna acquired 2 of the DeKalb Tbolts(they were still in place as of this Apri), and has also added 2 Vortex sirens to its system. There's also an older Whelen in this system. Smyrna operates its system independently of Cobb.

Some of my friends have told me of hearing the sirens clearly during severe weather alerts or the 1st Wednesday test. One of them lives betwween a Tbolt and a Vortex. He can hear both of them inside his house with the windows closed.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”