Allenorgan42099

Re: ACA Allertors in Loudoun County, Virginia

Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:08 am

Rheems1 wrote:Well, it wasn't actually modified per say... the fiberglass horn piece fell off and they didn't know where to get another one and weren't all that woried about it anyway. So they just left the motor and chopper assembly up and let it sound off, it looked pretty poor when I was there (as you can see) so I am not overly surprised they took it down. The chief gave me the impression he didn't like it very much also... I don't recall the last time I saw the Purcellville Allertor, and I could be mistaken and have them confused with Lovettsville... I seem to mix them up in my head for some reason.
My mom lives near the Middleburg VFD. I remember when the Allertor broke, all the siren could make attack, but it just sounded like a little groan, up and down in pitch. How many miles can an Allertor be heard, do you think?

STK-10

YouTube Username: Thundertrain2930

Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:41 am

Where's the ex-location of the middleburg allertor?
Here's my youtube
Hoping to explore all of Pennsylvania and states surrounding PA for sirens,

Wait hold up Chrysler, who made Big Red made Decots?

Allenorgan42099

Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:25 pm

Middleburg Fire Station - 910 W Washington St. Middleburg, VA 20118. It's been gone for several years now.

Allenorgan42099

Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:26 pm

STK-10 wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:41 am
Where's the ex-location of the middleburg allertor?
Middleburg Fire Station - 910 W Washington St. Middleburg, VA 20118. It's been gone for several years now.

ah11

Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:31 am

I actually have heard the Philomont Allertor sound for a fire call sometime around 2011. I was at a boy scout event in a nearby camp, and 11 year old me thought it was super creepy. A staff member explained to me that it was in fact a siren.

Allenorgan42099

Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:35 pm

ah11 wrote:
I actually have heard the Philomont Allertor sound for a fire call sometime around 2011. I was at a boy scout event in a nearby camp, and 11 year old me thought it was super creepy. A staff member explained to me that it was in fact a siren.
Were you at Camp Highroad? The Philomont Allertor sounds very sick, nearly a whole octave lower than normal. That makes it even more creepy. I'm not sure what its current status is, I hate to say. It was very active a couple years ago, but its use has been lessened somewhat due to complaints and the fact that the fire company only has a few active volunteers remaining and 24/7 career staff. If they stop using it for calls completely, though, they plan to still use it for tornado warnings. I have a few videos of it on YouTube. On a clear day you can actually hear it from my house in Middleburg, 6 miles away!

ah11

Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:57 pm

Allenorgan42099 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:35 pm
ah11 wrote:
Were you at Camp Highroad? The Philomont Allertor sounds very sick, nearly a whole octave lower than normal. That makes it even more creepy. I'm not sure what its current status is, I hate to say. It was very active a couple years ago, but its use has been lessened somewhat due to complaints and the fact that the fire company only has a few active volunteers remaining and 24/7 career staff. If they stop using it for calls completely, though, they plan to still use it for tornado warnings. I have a few videos of it on YouTube. On a clear day you can actually hear it from my house in Middleburg, 6 miles away!
Yes, it was camp highroad.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”