ENec

Re:

Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:05 pm

r4tbolts wrote: I've poked around a little about the siren but I think it is one of those deals it broke down years ago and was forgotten and was placed in service in such an odd place so long ago no one knows how it came about or who it belongs to. When our old OEM Director retired (and later sadlly passed away) a lot of history and knowlege was lost. The Sheriff Dept took over Emergency Management and they change people in charge of that office every couple of years (hence the 1st saturday of the month siren test being forgotten).
I learned some information about the area this Thunderbolt is at.
Milo Thompson used to live in this neighborhood before he died, so that would explain the odd placement of this Thunderbolt. I learned this information at the funeral of my former teacher, who was Milo Thompson's daughter.

While this might seem kiddish, I assure you this information is 100 percent true.
"One man's trash is another man's treasure".

uncommonsense

Re: Muffled by the cows

Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:53 am

Who is Milo Thompson and what makes him so special? Nothing came up in a Wikipedia or Google search.

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:57 am

uncommonsense wrote:Who is Milo Thompson and what makes him so special? Nothing came up in a Wikipedia or Google search.
I believe he is mentioned as being a former civil defense director on one of the earlier posts.
25, unfortunately not dead yet.
1950 Model A, 1940s Darley Champion
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:44 am

I believe he is mentioned as being a former civil defense director on one of the earlier posts.
Earlier as in over 6 years ago.......
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:46 am

r4tbolts wrote:Last spring I was told by person that lived on the street that the baffle on the poles next to the siren was erected because the siren scared the cows on nearby farms.
Ha here's how my dad would respond to this "why did they cut it off?" "It scared the cows." "well whoopty sh**."
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

r4tbolts

Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:44 am

uncommonsense wrote:Who is Milo Thompson and what makes him so special? Nothing came up in a Wikipedia or Google search.
Milo Thompson was the Director for Jackson City/County Civil Defense that was called the Office of Emergency Measures here. He served as Director from the early 70's to the mid 90's (give or take). Prior to his OEM days he was a State Trooper. He passed away quite a few years ago. Heck of a nice guy, smart was instrumental in getting 911 Central Dispatch organized up and running back in the 70's. He also had a very organized and skilled Skywarn network here in Jackson back in the day. When he retired the Sheriff Dept. took over the OEM and now is called Emergency Management.

Milo Thompson was a special person here to many in the Jackson area. I had the honor to know him and work with him some in his OEM days. Big shoes to fill when he retired and sadly passed.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”