murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

A couple of rednecks go to Ohio!

Tue May 03, 2011 11:03 pm

Jeb (holler) and I just returned from a weekend trip up to the Cincinnati metro to visit Werden Siren and poke around their yard, as well as to pick up an ACA Allertor and a few other goodies. We arrived Friday evening and spent the night up in Blue Ash, then went to hang out with Clayton Werden up at his shop and have some fun. Mr. Werden is an AWESOME guy, and we had tons of fun hanging out with him over the weekend! I cannot thank him enough for all he did for us while we were up there, can't wait to do it again. Anyway, I won't bore you with all the details, but rather just let the pictures do the talking.

Sirens and other things in the Werden yard, in no particular order:
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image ImageImage
Image Image Image Image

Now for some sirens seen along the way:
Atlanta, GA defunct Thunderbolt 1003 in downtown

Chattanooga, TN Thunderbolt 1000 on Mary Walker Towers
Image Image Image

Nashville, TN ATI HPSS-16
Image Image Image

Dickson, TN Sentry 16V1T-B

Burns, TN Federal Model 5A
Image Image Image

Bowling Green, KY "COWS" 2001-DC
Image Image

Louisville, KY 3T22 at Edgewood VFD

Whelen WPS-2901s at Louisville International Airport

Federal 2001s in Florence, KY

Fort Mitchell, KY 2001-SRN

Norwood (Cincinnati), OH Thunderbolt 1000(T) on Salvation Army Building
Image Image

Blue Ash (Cincinnati), OH ASC T-128 at Reed Hartman Hwy & Malsbary Rd

Cincinnati, OH Thunderbolt 1000(T) on Quality Custom Linens(?) building

We also saw a LOT of tornado damage from the huge outbreak along the way, but I'll post pictures of that later on. I'll also post pictures of the stuff we got while we were at Werden Siren later. Not sure if Jeb has any pictures to add too, but I'm sure he will if he does. Thanks for looking!
-Ian M.

BotdfAllertor

Tue May 03, 2011 11:28 pm

Oh good gravy look at all the sirens! :shock: They're so beautiful! :D If I ever went there, I'd have a heart attack from excitement for sure!

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

The Clampetts go to Ohio!

Wed May 04, 2011 12:08 am

Just an Ian said Clayton is a GREAT guy. I've done business with him before and will continue to do so. As you can see by the pictures he has lots of stuff, and really enjoys interacting with the siren community. He made it worth us fighting the high gas prices and horrible kentucky roads. But anyway here are some pics of my goodies.

ACA Allertor, 15 horse three phase 9/12 dual tone. I need to take some pictures of the guts of the siren, I'm sure Ian has some. But for now here is the housing.

Before cleaning, the black piece and the gray piece are new parts made by clayton for the Werden P-127

After cleaning

Low tone Darley (Federal) model 7. 7.5 horsepower 3 phase, solid cast iron.

I also got another exhaust fan for my shop, and a little belt powered bench grinder. On the way back we stopped at Dickson, so I'm sure Charlie has some pics to post.

Jpressman8

Wed May 04, 2011 12:11 am

So did you get both of the Allertor housings? One of those was the Springdale Allertor that came down in early 09. I'm supposed to pick up that single phase model 5 laying on it's side , but I have no truck to go get it at the moment. Looks like you got the one that was in the corner of the lot.
five liter V8

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Wed May 04, 2011 12:24 am

Jpressman8 wrote:So did you get both of the Allertor housings? One of those was the Springdale Allertor that came down in early 09. I'm supposed to pick up that single phase model 5 laying on it's side , but I have no truck to go get it at the moment. Looks like you got the one that was in the corner of the lot.
I only got one allertor housing, the springdale housing is still their. Yeah I got the old low tone five next to the table and under the small drum.

Melvin Potts

Wed May 04, 2011 12:44 am

Where in Atlanta is the Tbolt?

I recall one at "Little 5 Points" and one at a fire station on Cleveland Avenue from the time I lived in Atlanta area(1971-1989), but no others in the city(De Kalb County had a LOT of them).

The Chattanooga Tbolt has been facing the same direction for many years. I see it during my spring/fall trips to Atlanta as I go through town.

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Wed May 04, 2011 1:03 am

Is that gray P-15 the one that just got replaced in Miami Township?

That Thunderbolt on Salvation Army in Norwood has been dead for a few years, because when a new roof was put on that building, the roofers roofed over the blower, which killed it, and made it non-servicible. :x
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

murrfarms

Wed May 04, 2011 1:21 am

carexpertandy wrote:Is that gray P-15 the one that just got replaced in Miami Township?

That Thunderbolt on Salvation Army in Norwood has been dead for a few years, because when a new roof was put on that building, the roofers roofed over the blower, which killed it, and made it non-servicible. :x
Yep, that's where Clayton told us it came from. Luckily, I think Nick was able to grab a video of it before it was removed. If it's the one I remember, that's one healthy siren.

Shame that the Thunderbolt was done that way, it looks to be in relatively good shape for its age, and I bet it sounded equally as good. By roofing over the blower, you mean they literally roofed over the blower box and all, or is that inside and the roofed over the external intake pipe for it?
-Ian M.

murrfarms

Wed May 04, 2011 1:34 am

Melvin Potts wrote:Where in Atlanta is the Tbolt?

I recall one at "Little 5 Points" and one at a fire station on Cleveland Avenue from the time I lived in Atlanta area(1971-1989), but no others in the city(De Kalb County had a LOT of them).

The Chattanooga Tbolt has been facing the same direction for many years. I see it during my spring/fall trips to Atlanta as I go through town.
I believe it's on top of the US District Court building, but whatever it may be, it's the building between MLK Jr Dr SW & Mitchell St SW, at Spring St SW.
Here's an overhead view of the building on Google: http://goo.gl/maps/z2AM
You can see its shadow in the center of the building, on top of what appears to be an elevator shaft.

I assume those are now long removed? I've seen this lone 1003 atop that building in Atlanta many times while passing through, which leaves me to wonder if there may be other stragglers up on more hi-rises in downtown ATL. It definitely wouldn't surprise me if there were. This one was an accidental discovery a few years back when I was taking pictures of the downtown skyline from I-75, and happened to catch it in a photo.
-Ian M.

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Wed May 04, 2011 1:43 am

mr_thunderbolt1003 wrote:Shame that the Thunderbolt was done that way, it looks to be in relatively good shape for its age, and I bet it sounded equally as good. By roofing over the blower, you mean they literally roofed over the blower box and all, or is that inside and the roofed over the external intake pipe for it?
Over the blower box, it can be seen in this Bird's Eye image.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qhszh1 ... ORM=LMLTCC

The horn seems to be ending up in different positions. I'm not sure if that's because of the wind, or it's still connected, and only the rotator(and chopper?) still run?

Also, did they remove the Thunderbolt that was on Sands Montessori School and either SD-10 in Sayler Park?
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”