Westgate Thunderbolt

Phoenix Thunderbolt Coming Down This Wednesday

Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:54 am

I was contacted this morning and given the go ahead to remove the Phoenix Thunderbolt located at Monte Vista Elementary School for this Wednesday. Pending the equipment rental, it looks like it will be a go. I have submitted the rental request for a telehandler fork lift just today, and waiting for a reply. It will be me and one good friend taking it down, If someone else in Arizona wants to join in I would be more than happy to have a few extra hands or trucks. I'll even buy the beer after. :D

I took a trip to Phoenix this afternoon to take another look a the layout to get a more fresh and better idea of what equipment I could use. It was a good thing I did too. It has been a little while since I had seen the layout. I could get to the head with an extendable ladder easy. The stand pipe mounting flange is probably only about 15' up.

I'll keep you updated.

Justin

SilenceIsNotAlwaysGolden

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:54 pm

Man that's sad to hear...I haven't read any previous posts on this....are you taking ownership of said T-bolt? Or is anyone else? I sure hope it finds a good home away from the scrap yard.
Sirens save your life. If you don't believe it, you just wait until the day when you wake up with no arse.

Westgate Thunderbolt

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:35 pm

SilenceIsNotAlwaysGolden wrote:Man that's sad to hear...I haven't read any previous posts on this....are you taking ownership of said T-bolt? Or is anyone else? I sure hope it finds a good home away from the scrap yard.
You can reference this thread for a little more insight on this siren. http://airraidsirens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10003 I could have continued on that thread, but that thread was primarily just for some pictures that I was sharing of sirens around the Phoenix metropolitan area.

Anyway, I just now got home from Phoenix. The removal was very easy. It was almost too easy. I got to the location just before 7:00 AM. The reach forklift that I rented was already unloaded and waiting. It was supposed to get there at 7:00 AM. I wanted to be there to meet up with the delivery person but he/she was long gone. I didn't even know the forklift was already there until I spoke with the building maintenance supervisor.

Surprisingly I had no interference from anyone. Nobody was even really watching. My friend and I were greeted and then everybody just walked off and let us do our thing.

We were loaded and ready to roll out at 11:00 AM. Good timing to because it was just starting to get uncomfortably HOT! It doesn't take long for that Arizona sun to start heating things up.

I didn't get too many removal pictures since I was the one busy doing the removal, but I'll post what I have.

I do have to say that those 1950's A series blowers are real boat anchors. That blower is at least three times larger than my C series blower, and I'm guessing three times heavier. Plus the large heavy pulley. The motor was a beast as well. It has what looks like a cast iron base rather than the light stamped steel base on the newer motors.

I was just going to take only my 1/2 ton truck, but my I asked my friend to bring his along as well. Good thing because I think that complete siren would have squatted my truck suspension pretty good. When I got my 1003 with the C series blower my truck was squatting in the rear. I think that A series blower would have put it over the top.

Justin

sirenita

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:38 pm

congrats on your siren!
chicks like sirens, too.

tachi88

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:46 am

Westgate Thunderbolt wrote:The removal was very easy. It was almost too easy.

Justin
Man that sounds like when I got my Tbolt.

Checked it out a week before to see what tools I was going to need, then come removal day it was already disassembled for me.

Congrats on the T-bolt!
Proud owner of a Thunderbolt 1000A

Westgate Thunderbolt

Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:00 am

Ha! You know that poor sucker was upset when he came back to get the Thunderbolt head he spent all that time taking apart to find it gone :o . I would have been cussing up a storm. I also wouldn't have left it taken apart in plain sight. These two saying come to mind: "There's no honor among thieves." and "You snooze, you loose"

Justin

SilenceIsNotAlwaysGolden

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:02 pm

Glad to hear that there was smooth sailing on the uninstallation! Can't wait to see the pics, sounds like something I've never heard of before.
Right, there is no honor among thieves. And I'm sure if he was willing to steal it, he didn't deserve it one bit. Most likely was going to cash it in for money at the scrap yard....of course it would have been funny if they'd have asked where he got it from.
Sirens save your life. If you don't believe it, you just wait until the day when you wake up with no arse.

Westgate Thunderbolt

Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:42 pm

Here are the photographs. http://www.flickr.com/photos/58979889@N06/

Justin

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:59 pm

Wow, that things a time capsule. I'm amazed at the lack of rust. So is it a single tone like all the rest?

Westgate Thunderbolt

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:32 pm

I pulled the chopper assembly off and the motor looked like it just came straight off the factory floor. Almost no rust at all on the siren head. There is a little on the projector horn and one or two very light spots on some of the sheet metal. The dry climate has certainly done this siren a favor.

It is a single tone 1000.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”