AKSoapy29

Sirens in Ely?

Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:34 pm

Hello. I'm going up to Ely MN this weekend, and I was wondering if there are any good sirens up there.

ruralchief

Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Try Googling Ely on a satelite map and try to locate the fire station. Most likely a siren on or near the fire station.

Let us know what you find out!

AKSoapy29

Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:14 pm

I'll take pictures if anything :D

Nelso90

Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:11 am

Hit the international wolf center up there if you can, it's on 169 just past where you turn right to go on highway 1 south out of town. Very informative, I went up there on a motorcycle ride from Duluth this summer. I learned about wolves, and a lot about human society and where I stand in it in the process. Didn't see any sirens though lol!
Also hit highway 1 if you can, very fun!

AKSoapy29

Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:42 am

Ok, I will try to do so. I was on google maps and I didn't see anything. Leaving Friday night with my dad and sister for the cabin :D

Toledo 2t22
YouTube Username: Calvin Mayer

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:33 am

Speaking of that wolf center, there's an article on their website that starts off with:
Starting ten years ago, whenever the fire siren sounded in Ely, MN, a unique call answered ? the ambassador pack at the International Wolf Center howled back.
So obviously theres a fire siren to be found somewhere in Ely; I don't think it would have been removed by now but it always could have since the article is from 2003. I'll look on google as well for a short while, but its about time for me to go to bed. Hope you find something, I'll post if I find something myself.

Here is a link to the article, the first line is really the only mention of sirens of any sorts.

http://www.wolf.org/wolves/news/2003rel ... tracks.asp
-Calvin Mayer

Tyler, how many sirens do I own now?

Calvin Mayer on YouTube

RobinHood73

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:40 am

Nelso90 wrote:Hit the international wolf center up there if you can, it's on 169 just past where you turn right to go on highway 1 south out of town. Very informative, I went up there on a motorcycle ride from Duluth this summer. I learned about wolves, and a lot about human society and where I stand in it in the process. Didn't see any sirens though lol!
Also hit highway 1 if you can, very fun!
Wish I could go out and visit that place. I would love it since my favorite animals are wolves and foxes. :D
If you see anything please report back with pics. :wink:
A proud owner of a Federal Electric Model 3, Federal Electric Model A, and a Federal Sign and Signal Model L.
My youtube: RyanTheHermVixen

AKSoapy29

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:46 am

I've been there before, and maybe this weekend, so I'll look for old pictures on my moms laptop (Where all photos are) and I might, take pictures this weekend if we go. Who knows, I might even goto the Bear Center again :D

Toledo 2t22
YouTube Username: Calvin Mayer

Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:00 am

I think I might of found something... might be nothing but to me its something. Since they apparently have a fire siren, I thought to look for the fire department. Turns out its also the city hall. After looking at all angles something on the roof caught my eye. Not sure if its a siren though, could be. It's zoomed in all the way because its the only position where its visible. If its a siren it looks like, to me, an Erick.

Here it is on Street View

While you're there, check out the city hall, its at the intersection of Chapman and 2nd Ave. The fire station is there too, chances are if there's a siren, its there.
-Calvin Mayer

Tyler, how many sirens do I own now?

Calvin Mayer on YouTube

AKSoapy29

Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:06 am

I will have to look at the map in the morning on my computer. iPods don't work with street view, which stinks. I was looking at the station on google maps today, but I didn't catch anything.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”