AQHort

Life span of newer siren series

Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:15 am

I was wondering how long you guys think the current generation of sirens will last. I was thinking about the 2001 specifically, being that it is one of the oldest of the current generation. Being that the the Thunderbolt series was around about 38 years before it was discontinued and the fact that the 2001 is getting up there at about 23 years, I was wondering how long it will last. Also give your opinions about other series such as ASC's Tempest line.

sirenita

Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:21 am

What is the newest, latest siren?
chicks like sirens, too.

AQHort

Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:25 am

sirenita wrote:What is the newest, latest siren?
I think the newest is the Federal Signal Eclipse 8. But I could be wrong. One of the other board members probably would know better than I would.

uncommonsense

Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:45 am

Its funny you mention that. I am currently in DeKalb, IL. The system of sirens here is 2001s from all generations. There's at least 3 roundback 2001s in the system right now, and all three are in absurdly bad shape for only being 20 years old.

All 3 heads are rusted and the controls are completely rusted over. Its sort of sad, really, for being 20 years old and in such bad shape.

HOWEVER, all the newer 2001s I've seen seem to be faring much, much better. I suspect its the paint used on the roundbacks because its definitely different. Its a different color, consistency, and shine.

I don't think of the 2001 as a bad product and my previous posts will back that up. However, I will heartily admit the condition of the roundbacks here rather surprised me.

AQHort

Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:49 am

uncommonsense wrote:Its funny you mention that. I am currently in DeKalb, IL. The system of sirens here is 2001s from all generations. There's at least 3 roundback 2001s in the system right now, and all three are in absurdly bad shape for only being 20 years old.

All 3 heads are rusted and the controls are completely rusted over. Its sort of sad, really, for being 20 years old and in such bad shape.

HOWEVER, all the newer 2001s I've seen seem to be faring much, much better. I suspect its the paint used on the roundbacks because its definitely different. Its a different color, consistency, and shine.

I don't think of the 2001 as a bad product and my previous posts will back that up. However, I will heartily admit the condition of the roundbacks here rather surprised me.
I agree that it must have something to do with the paint. I believe that I read somewhere that newer 2001's have an anti-rust/corrosive powder paint on them which may be the reason why they seem to fair better than the round backs. In my neck of the woods, I've seen a 2001 DC or two with some rust. But now for my question, how long do you think this series will last?

mrboojay
YouTube Username: mrboojay13
Discord: mrboojay

Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:55 am

AQHort wrote:
I think the newest is the Federal Signal Eclipse 8. But I could be wrong. One of the other board members probably would know better than I would.
What about the Sentry Defender?
Proud owner of a 1986 Thunderbeam RSH-10B (Blown) and a 1954 Thunderbolt 1000A. (With 4/5)
flickr
YouTube

Allertor113
YouTube Username: RLDproductions

Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:59 am

I actually think the newest siren available would be the 40v2tB.(I think thats the model with the battery backup?)
Siren/Field Technician
Moore, Oklahoma

mrboojay
YouTube Username: mrboojay13
Discord: mrboojay

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:05 am

Allertor113 wrote:I actually think the newest siren available would be the 40v2tB.(I think thats the model with the battery backup?)
Yep the "B" means it has battery backup.
Proud owner of a 1986 Thunderbeam RSH-10B (Blown) and a 1954 Thunderbolt 1000A. (With 4/5)
flickr
YouTube

Ed Wise

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:04 am

Sentry Sirens were evaluated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to have an estimated 53 year life expectancy.

Jim Z

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:26 am

Either the 40V2T-B or the Eclipse.

as for the OP's question, I'd think anything made of stainless (like some Sentry sirens) or primarily aluminum and/or fiberglass (like the Eclipse and ACA sirens) would last a long time due simply to corrosion resistance. assuming, of course, they don't cheap out on the motors and stuff.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”