t-bolt82

Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:44 pm

I was just about to start a thread for this. The guy that made the video on youtube emailed me with this:

Re: Equinox 2001 siren
I do work for Federal Signal and no this isn't a new design, This is something we already created for a client. They wanted the 2001 look but wanted a lower frequency.

Thanks for your comment more to come!

Just thought this would be good to hear.
Viva la Thunderbolt!

uncommonsense

Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:18 pm

t-bolt82 wrote:I was just about to start a thread for this. The guy that made the video on youtube emailed me with this:

Re: Equinox 2001 siren
I do work for Federal Signal and no this isn't a new design, This is something we already created for a client. They wanted the 2001 look but wanted a lower frequency.

Thanks for your comment more to come!

Just thought this would be good to hear.
Boy now I REALLY have to eat my words!

t-bolt82

Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:22 pm

uncommonsense wrote: Boy now I REALLY have to eat my words!

We all had our doubts. ;) For far too long, FS produced their too high-pitched 2001, so who'd've thunk! :lol:

The thing that confuses me, is why does this go down to 126dB? It sounds nearly identical to the T-135... :?
Viva la Thunderbolt!

Jim Z

Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:38 pm

want some ketchup with that?

uncommonsense

Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:46 pm

Jim Z wrote:
want some ketchup with that?
Nah. I was thinking they might be washed down quite nicely with a six pack of Guinness ;-)

Jim Z

Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:00 pm

As for the drop in SPL, the only thing I can think of is if they kept the same horn design as the 2001 but it isn't as appropriate for the lower frequency of the Equinox. It'd be easier to work out if it had a separate horn for each port like the ASC sirens, but I'm rusty on that subject and the fact that Federal blends them all into a common horn is throwing me off.

thewoog34
YouTube Username: Thewoog34

Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:49 pm

I still think that the ASC T-128 is better (it's louder, costs around the same and is proven to be less prone to failure or pitch problems) but it's nice to see that Federal is offering something with the same loudness level as the T-bolt 1000 that doesn't sound like a firetruck siren mounted on a pole.
What happened when Napoleon went to Mt. Olive? Popeye got pissed.

http://www.youtube.com/thewoog34

Notre.Dame1003

Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:55 pm

Very cool! Will it be replacing the 2001, or will it just be another available option?
"When it comes to great steaks, I've just raised the stakes."

-Noie, Director of sarcasm-

Federal Signal RX, Model A, Model D

Youtube
Facebook

Grasshopper

Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:08 pm

To get the lower frequency there needed to be larger holes on the chopper assembly. This inturn causes a slightly lower peak DB reading at 100ft. Although the peak DB level is cosmetic. What matters is whether or not you can hear the siren or not. People always stress on the peak DB reading. This DB reading is calculated in absolutely perfect conditions that you would never get in the real world. Ambient noise on a quiet day in the middle of nowhere is still going to be 60db or so. If a cricket farts in a test chamber the ambient nois level goes up. I think that people will be quite happy with the deep sound the new siren creates for mass notification.

thewoog34
YouTube Username: Thewoog34

Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:11 pm

Grasshopper wrote:To get the lower frequency there needed to be larger holes on the chopper assembly. This inturn causes a slightly lower peak DB reading at 100ft. Although the peak DB level is cosmetic. What matters is whether or not you can hear the siren or not. People always stress on the peak DB reading. This DB reading is calculated in absolutely perfect conditions that you would never get in the real world. Ambient noise on a quiet day in the middle of nowhere is still going to be 60db or so. If a cricket farts in a test chamber the ambient nois level goes up. I think that people will be quite happy with the deep sound the new siren creates for mass notification.
The deeper tone will definitely carry further.
What happened when Napoleon went to Mt. Olive? Popeye got pissed.

http://www.youtube.com/thewoog34

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”