Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

OFFICAL: Gwinnett Co. To install new warning sirens.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:18 am

Yeah, yeah, I quit, But i just wanted to share this:

Just discovered This on the Gwinnett Daily post:

SUGAR HILL -- The self-proclaimed Recreation City, Sugar Hill soon will be a safer city in which to recreate.

Announced at Monday's monthly city council meeting was recent delivery of six weather warning sirens to be stationed throughout Gwinnett's third largest city. Roughly six feet tall and four feet in diameter, they'll be mounted atop telephone poles beginning Thursday.

Locations will be as far north as Gary Pirkle Park, as far south as North Price Road and as far east as Ga. Highway 20 near Peachtree Industrial Boulevard. The western-most one will be installed at Sugar Hill Golf Course, the city's highest point.

The independently powered sirens will be networked to satellites from an antenna atop city hall on West Broad Street downtown and activated by the National Weather Service. In addition to siren warning, the system can alert via text message, fax and email. City personnel also can activate the system should it perceive dangerous weather before agencies do.

Sirens will wail steadily for three minutes to notify of severe weather and for 10-second intervals if tornados are cited. The city plans to test the sirens city-wide on Oct. 7.

The sirens were paid for by a $136,000 grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Sirens for Cities, the Jonesboro company from which Sugar Hill bought the system, recommended where to place the sirens to best alert schools, daycare facilities and residents. The sirens will notify not only Sugar Hill's roughly 18,500 residents, but also neighbors in Gwinnett County, Buford and Suwanee.

"We're actually warning between 38,000 and 40,000 people," City Manager Bob Hail said. "These will benefit more than just Sugar Hill residents. Schools train kids what to do (in dangerous weather), but now they're going to be warned as well."

The sirens complement an emergency call box recently installed at Pirkle Park. The call box was donated by Right to Hike, the organization that celebrates the life of slain hiker Meredith Emerson.

Sugar Hill's Community Relations Director Don Kelemen said the warning system will be particularly vital to people in parks.

"With a couple thousand people out there at any one time, if they hear the sirens go off, they know to take cover," he said.

In a sepearate development at Monday's meeting, the council voted to approve architect Precision Planning's request for roughly 20 percent more in fees to design the new city hall on West Broad Street and Temple Drive downtown. Precision requested its $404,000 fee be increased to $500,000 because the size of the three-story hall had increased by about 28 percent and its budget grew from $7.9 million to some $10 million.

Anyone know what sirens? I Think Vortexes or modulators, But not sure.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:48 am

They are Sentry sirens, I saw the bid specs not too long ago on Sugar Hill's website. Ed Wise is putting them in.

Sounds like they are getting 16V-1TBs, a wise choice IMO.

Freighttrain

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:14 am

Time to watch the Auction sites!!!!!

holler
High Leg
High Leg

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:30 am

I don't think they are taking any old sirens down. I don't think they had any old sirens to begin with.

Freighttrain

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:32 am

Nuts....

sirenita

Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:10 am

Jeb is correct, the city does not currently have any sirens.
chicks like sirens, too.

thewoog34
YouTube Username: Thewoog34

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:22 pm

I'm glad they are putting in Sentry sirens.
What happened when Napoleon went to Mt. Olive? Popeye got pissed.

http://www.youtube.com/thewoog34

Alasiren1977

Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:27 pm

Here is video of the installs that began in Sugar Hill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2TvVXdD-3Y
Certified Storm Spotter for Davidson and Williamson County, TN

holler
High Leg
High Leg

Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:14 am

It's amazing how the "it can't happen here" mentality of the south in general was shattered by the events of April 27-29, 2011.

The saddest part though is that people had to die in order for it to happen.

Alasiren1977

Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:51 am

holler wrote:It's amazing how the "it can't happen here" mentality of the south in general was shattered by the events of April 27-29, 2011.

The saddest part though is that people had to die in order for it to happen.
Exactly! I see that all over the south in Alabama and Tennessee and it is good that they finally see that sirens do play a vital part of warning people, but at the same time it shouldn't have to take hundreds of people losing their lives to wake everyone up.
Certified Storm Spotter for Davidson and Williamson County, TN

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”