Henry455

Can anyone identify these sirens?

Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:13 pm

I found these pics on Ebay, the caption says "3 Vint 30s Mariners Sirens for San Francisco Oakland Bay Bridge Photo Negatives"

SirenTech Ind.
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: MrSciencetificsasuke

Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:36 am

Well I'm no help. But I have seen pics of that little one in the front without the projectors and with the angled choppers though. Sure always neat to see a new siren!

I am intrigued by the line shaft in the back. Does that mean they preferred belt driven tools over electric? :?:

I just noticed, it looks like they may possibly be coded or they have those anti freezing coils. I can't tell whether that square thing on the bottom right on the siren base is a solenoid or a x-fomer. The x-fomer could be used for the heating coils....
Proud Owner of a wide Collection of Vacuum Tubes, ThunderBolt 1000T, Edwards Model 315
Age 16

Daniel

Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:52 am

Hmm...a siren on a siren on a siren...

Someone on this board had a single-tone versions of this siren with 12 ports. It may have been built by the US Navy, but more than likely, it was commissioned by them through Hedberg. My guess is Hedberg because these have only been seen in northern and central California, and that company had many designs. I'd be willing to bet that this is a photo of the inside of Hedberg's San Jose factory.

If you look closely, you will see the strange, flared-out motor cover. These are coding sirens, and the siren without the cover shows the mechanism. There is a large solenoid and a linkage going into the left rotor, and no doubt the same thing on the other side. Could be a brake, or perhaps the stator has a rotating cover of some sort. Rotating the air intake would effectively muffle the siren.

I have also seen a photo of a dual-tone siren like this, without the projectors. Apparently a dual-tone version of this would sound an octave interval like a Sterling/Sentry, except a fifth lower (think a Model 5 plus an octave lower).
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Daniel

Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:13 am

More San Francisco mystery sirens.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Archon

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:30 am

Daniel wrote:More San Francisco mystery sirens.
I think These were General Electric Sirens

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:58 am

GE Bullard?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”