Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: andyt1424

Working on buying a Model 7

Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:34 pm

I am thinking of buying this Model 7 from the City of Nicollet, Minnesota
http://mankato.craigslist.org/grd/3956082830.html
What do you guys think?
Last edited by Andys Live WX on Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Andy Thompson
Electrician
http://www.somnwx,com
Owner of a 3T22A

Liquid_Pooterbear

YouTube Username: 2t22tornadosiren

Re: Working on buying a Model 7

Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:16 am

Wish I could find a siren in dallas/fort worth, i'm forced to make my own out of wood

Westgate Thunderbolt

Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:24 am

Unless you want competition, you probably shouldn't advertise for sale listings to sirens that you are trying to purchase. Since this siren has already been posted in the For Sale section of the forums you will probably not hurt your chances.

Anyway, I think it is a very nice siren. It appears to be in decent condition, and I love the truss base. That base gives it a little something extra as a display piece. It looks like an early Federal Electric.

Good luck!
Owner of a Federal Electric Model 2, Federal Sign and Signal SD-10, Federal Sign and Signal 1000(T) and a H.O.R. Si-Rex 7:10 Omnidirectional

Andys Live WX
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:43 am

Yeah I knew that, that is where I first found it. I just figured since this is my first siren, it might not hurt to hear what others with experience might have to say about it.
Regards,
Andy Thompson
Electrician
Owner of a 3T22A

Rick K

Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:18 am

That is one heavy siren. Being on that mini tower will make it pretty difficult to get down and load without some kind of Bobcat or something similar. That's why I haven't gone to get that siren yet. If it wasn't on that tower, I'd have bought it already. If that is one of the old cast iron model 7s, it should weigh around 500 lbs.

Thunderboltlover
YouTube Username: thunderboltlover

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:02 am

Sorry to venture off topic, but does anybody know what replaced this siren (if anything)? I'm guessing a 2001... :roll:
Proud owner of a Thunderbolt 1003

Andys Live WX
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:06 am

Well if I remember right, they got a new fire station and I think they put up a 2001-130 right behind it and then sometime a Sentry 10v2T just a couple blocks away. The Model 7 used to be mounted on one of their old city buildings, but they sold it.
Being on that mini tower will make it pretty difficult to get down and load without some kind of Bobcat or something similar. That's why I haven't gone to get that siren yet. If it wasn't on that tower, I'd have bought it already.
No, you wouldn't of been able to because when I contacted the city, the guy said they are having a council meeting on Monday night to determine if they even want to sell the thing. They only listed it on craigslist just to try to see what it is worth by taking offers.
Regards,
Andy Thompson
Electrician
Owner of a 3T22A

Rick K

Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:20 pm

Andys Live WX wrote:Well if I remember right, they got a new fire station and I think they put up a 2001-130 right behind it and then sometime a Sentry 10v2T just a couple blocks away. The Model 7 used to be mounted on one of their old city buildings, but they sold it.
Being on that mini tower will make it pretty difficult to get down and load without some kind of Bobcat or something similar. That's why I haven't gone to get that siren yet. If it wasn't on that tower, I'd have bought it already.
No, you wouldn't of been able to because when I contacted the city, the guy said they are having a council meeting on Monday night to determine if they even want to sell the thing. They only listed it on craigslist just to try to see what it is worth by taking offers.

Well that's crappy! They should have said that in the ad. Lol.

Andys Live WX
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:19 pm

Its actually a very good trick if you are looking to sell something but have no clue what its worth. Works better than actually asking people, that way you get way better bids because people will pay more for it.
Regards,
Andy Thompson
Electrician
Owner of a 3T22A

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:00 am

Its actually a very good trick if you are looking to sell something but have no clue what its worth.
Is it? It's in the "all for sale/wanted" category. I guess there should be a "not really for sale we're here to waste your time by asking for meaningless offers" category.
If the thing isn't actually for sale they shouldn't have listed it. They are just wasting people's time messing around.
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”