StonedChipmunk

"Duck Day" firetruck sirens

Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:06 pm

DUCK DAY!!!!!!
For those of you that don't know, Duck Day is a "July 4"-style celebration we have here at McCallie. It's never announced in advance (although they announced it to be on May 1st to keep people from interrogating the Krispy Kreme people for large, 1000-doughnut orders), it has a bunch of activities, and is mainly all-around chaos. Cottage cheese/hot sauce eating contests, water balloon fights, dodgeball wars... fun fun fun.

Fortunately, I've found a time to take a break from the madness and ask a question about something actually related to this forum:

When we were leaving chapel, I was one of the first ones out and unfortunately got pelted in the face with a water balloon. I was the famed Dead Duck, which is the first guy to get a taste of Duck Day. After I suddenly realized what happened, people started quacking everywhere and ran me over trying to get to the free doughnuts and the lake (it's a concrete pool, not a real lake).

However, since I was one of the last people out, I got caught up in another tradition: the fire truck. In short, everyone jumps up on the firetruck and tries to tip it over (actually we just rock it but it's still fun). I know this is unsafe, and that we were probably destroying millions of dollars worth of equipment (there were 3 fire trucks there) and the Chattanooga FD was pretty pissed, but what worried me was that the dumbass firefighter in the truck kept his lead foot on the Q pedal the entire time! I still can't hear out of my right ear (and my left ear is ringing badly) and this was about 2 hours ago. Along with the electronic 2x100 watt sirens, is this dangerous? (Please be aware that there were two more firetrucks next to each other - all sounding Q's and electronics full blast.)

I would have jumped in and demanded to see the siren and lights, but there wasn't enough time - they drove off to get ready for the water fight - they turn their hoses on relatively low pressure and run around campus soaking everybody.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Re: "Duck Day" firetruck sirens

Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:21 pm

but what worried me was that the dumbass firefighter in the truck kept his lead foot on the Q pedal the entire time! I still can't hear out of my right ear (and my left ear is ringing badly) and this was about 2 hours ago. Along with the electronic 2x100 watt sirens, is this dangerous?
Yes, that will definitely permanently damage your hearing. (Though if I was the officer riding in that truck, I'd be doing the same thing)
I got caught up in another tradition: the fire truck. In short, everyone jumps up on the firetruck and tries to tip it over (actually we just rock it but it's still fun). I know this is unsafe, and that we were probably destroying millions of dollars worth of equipment
Thats just stupid and ignorant. But with 1000-1500 gallons of water in the tank, I doubt any amount of people could tip a fire truck over.

StonedChipmunk

Re: "Duck Day" firetruck sirens

Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:42 pm

JasonC wrote:Thats just stupid and ignorant. But with 1000-1500 gallons of water in the tank, I doubt any amount of people could tip a fire truck over.
Yeah, the trucks didn't get damaged at all. Kinda weird, though. Luckily, I was in the back of the middle truck so I didn't get much sirenage. (I was one of the lucky people who didn't have to climb up top or get on the sides.)

loudmouth

Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:42 pm

I be pretty pissed off if i was the cheif of that dept and saw that happeing to one of my engines. the idea of the party seems kinda cool but the try to tip a fire truck seems dumb.
kinda makes me worry about people

StonedChipmunk

Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:42 pm

loudmouth wrote:I be pretty pissed off if i was the cheif of that dept and saw that happeing to one of my engines. the idea of the party seems kinda cool but the try to tip a fire truck seems dumb.
The party sucked. By noon, there was nothing to do. All they had were inflatables, Guitar Hero competitions, and that cottage cheese eating contest - and that was only in the morning. School is over now, but at least I don't have to go to an Afternoon Activity! Yay!

Anyways, the chief OK'd it (is OK'd a word?). We have the party every year. Nothing really happens, we just rock the engines. In fact, there wasn't even any scratches or chipped paint (at least on "my" truck).

Anyways, back to the sirens. Seems that the effects of the Q's and electronics have worn off. Now all that pisses me off is the broken bell directly outside my door that will NOT STOP RINGING!!!!:

Image < By the way, there is a reason my roommate is colored pink. It's a guy, too.

Shinkansen

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:04 am

Weird tradition.... Glad to hear you're ok. Was a bit worried there. I wouldn't have used the Q a bit....I'd have scared em s**tless with the Stuttertones. :twisted:
Blades will bleed. Shields Will Shatter. But as the light fades, will the Hero rise again? Or will darkness rein?

loudmouth

Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:03 pm

StonedChipmunk wrote:
loudmouth wrote:I be pretty pissed off if i was the cheif of that dept and saw that happeing to one of my engines. the idea of the party seems kinda cool but the try to tip a fire truck seems dumb.
The party sucked. By noon, there was nothing to do. All they had were inflatables, Guitar Hero competitions, and that cottage cheese eating contest - and that was only in the morning. School is over now, but at least I don't have to go to an Afternoon Activity! Yay!

cottege cheese eating comption.... i dont mind some on my pasta but eww.

StonedChipmunk

Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:17 pm

Shinkansen wrote:I'd have scared em s**tless with the Stuttertones. :twisted:
The school would probably sue you (although I would still sue if you didn't use the horns...)

By the way, I have a MASSIVE migraine now, probably because of that damn Q. But hey, I've never been closer to a full-blasting Q siren!

Shinkansen

Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:06 am

Not sure why they'd sue, if they won't sue for the Q. And I've been right at a Q full blast, Bostian Heights FD...Back when I went there, there was a firecall, needless to say, the LEDS, Stuttertones, Q, and Whelen HSF-295 made for an impressive mix. On the topic of Federal mechs, whats the name of the classic Federal siren that has the red light on the front?
Blades will bleed. Shields Will Shatter. But as the light fades, will the Hero rise again? Or will darkness rein?

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:23 pm

Shinkansen wrote: On the topic of Federal mechs, whats the name of the classic Federal siren that has the red light on the front?
There were several.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”