FSThunderboltfan1000
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: FSThunderboltfan1000

The Washington School Thunderbolt 1000AT(Warning it is long)

Sat May 24, 2014 1:39 am

As some of you Wisconsin siren enthusiasts may know Washington School in Sheboygan WI was closed June 12th of 2013. When the School was closed the power was left on for four reasons heating the building in the winter, lighting in the building if someone need to go in there, the outdoor lighting around the building, and lastly supplying power to the Thunderbolt.

When the school board closed the school last year they had two plans for the city to consider. The first option was demolishing the 100 year old school and re-building a new one and raising the cities taxes $70 for a year. The second option was a two-part plan, the first part was to send the students and teachers to different schools such as Grant, Jefferson, and ,Pigeon River. The second option won, but then they had to decide what would happen to the school so they came up with another plan. They decided that the school has one year from June 12th of 2013 to be sold or they would demolish it and make a mini baseball park similar to field of dreams. In the beginning of the 2013-2014 school year a few local relaters looked into making the school a low-income housing facility but they determined it would take too much time and money to remodel the 100 year old building.

As you know the school still has 19 more days to be bought but, the chances are slim for the building. As of right now some of you might be thinking the same thing I am. What is going to happen to the Thunderbolt as of right now no one knows. As on 11:00 am on May 21, 2014 the siren is still functional and activates with the rest of the city.

What will the city do with the Thunderbolt if they tear down the building. Well, I am depending on the city of Sheboygan P.W.D Electricians to remember that we have a siren up there. The electrician I always deal with at the P.W.D knows it is up there but, this month the electrical department is busy replacing the street lights with new led ones.

If the city does not remember the siren will go down with the building unless I can work out a deal with the demolition company. If the city does remember they will do one of four things. Scrap it and put up a replacement, refurbish it and re-mount it on wooden pole, put it in storage and use it as a spare, or sell it to me or another municipality.

Now for a little info on the siren it's self. The siren is a 5/6 port Thunderbolt 1000AT series A2. The siren its self has never been refurbished although it has had a re-paint back in the summer of 2011. The siren is very healthy and loud considering when they put it back up they switched two of the legs of the 3-phase around so now the blower is sucking instead of blowing. The siren has been there all my life and at least 40 years before that and it has sentimental value to me thus the reason I want it.

Thank you for your time and patients with this long post I just wanted to let you know the story with this old relic.

A video I took awhile ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cy-uxIXXmw

Finally here are some pictures I took today of it.
Attachments
CAM00216.jpg
CAM00215.jpg
CAM00214.jpg
Proud owner of rcm1, model 2,2T,Model A, Thunderbolt 1003, AF timer, FS SS1000, 500SHST
Wisconsin siren services
https://www.swssirens.com

tbolthunter1994

YouTube Username: mrgh22

Re: The Washington School Thunderbolt 1000AT(Warning it is l

Thu May 29, 2014 4:27 am

Shame to lose such a good looking Thunderbolt, as well as very beautiful and historic building. :(
Live's near a t-bolt when younger and was afraid of them, years later actively searches for them......Is there something wrong with me?

FSThunderboltfan1000
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:19 am

Sorry to bump but here is a quick update.

As of 8:07 pm 6/13/14 ,one day after the one year deadline, the siren is still there but facing the same direction as it is in the photos. The power to the building and there is no sign of the building going to be demolished.
Proud owner of rcm1, model 2,2T,Model A, Thunderbolt 1003, AF timer, FS SS1000, 500SHST
Wisconsin siren services

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:29 am

If I were you, I'd do anything in your power to try and get it. Sorry to make such a kiddie-esque reply, but I hate to see a piece of history go to the scrapper
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

FSThunderboltfan1000
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:05 am

Brendan W wrote:If I were you, I'd do anything in your power to try and get it. Sorry to make such a kiddie-esque reply, but I hate to see a piece of history go to the scrapper
Trust me I am, I drive past it more than four times a day to make sure that it is still there.
Wisconsin siren services

FSThunderboltfan1000
Supporter
Supporter

Re: The Washington School Thunderbolt 1000AT(Warning it is long)

Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:07 pm

Sorry for the bump and double post, but here is an update on the siren. The siren is scheduled to be replaced in May or June when the renovation to the school to make it into apartments begins. I will do everything in my power to try and acquire this siren. I have gotten lucky with the city once hopefully I can get lucky again.
Wisconsin siren services

Josh
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: MetroSignal
Discord: Josh555#0001

Re: The Washington School Thunderbolt 1000AT(Warning it is long)

Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:27 am

Interesting story. Hope you get the Tbolt!
- Josh
proud owner of a Federal Signal corporation Model A

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”