Badger 12

Military Bases with Sirens?

Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:26 pm

Anyone have any examples of military bases with sirens. I know a base in Horsham,PA at one point had a Chrysler installed.
Proud owner of a Blue Light and future owner of an STH-10

Travis
YouTube Username: DL1011

Re: Military Bases with Sirens?

Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:33 pm

Every military base the US operates, as well as most larger federal installations all have sirens. There used to be some variation from region to region as to what kind of sirens, but everyone has moved to electronic sirens with the new policies. Some parts of the country Whelens are very popular, while here in Texas, Modulators and ATI's are smattered across installations in healthy doses. It just depends on who won the bid where.
-The Princess

Badger 12

Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:42 pm

Hmm interesting, seems like they wouldn't want to go with electronic sirens since they seem to fail a lot. Anyone have any pictures or anything like that they could use as examples. I just want to know where they are usually put in Military bases.

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:05 pm

Badger 12 wrote:Hmm interesting, seems like they wouldn't want to go with electronic sirens since they seem to fail a lot. Anyone have any pictures or anything like that they could use as examples. I just want to know where they are usually put in Military bases.
They are generally set up in the same fashion as ones in cities, towns, etc. They have them for the voice capabilities, which is why you see nothing but electronics for the most part. Ft. Benning, GA has a Whelen System to somewhat match with the one in Columbus, GA. They've been having good luck with their Whelen system. Electronic sirens don't fail as much as you think. Ft. Benning used 2001's and a couple of Modulator 2008's prior to the Whelen system. I think that the Whelen system there is in better shape as the old Federal system too, considering how long the 2001's have been pointing in the same direction. I remember one in particular that is pointed the same way as it did back in 2007.
https://airraidsirens.com/forums/viewto ... Modulators
https://airraidsirens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17122
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Badger 12

Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:40 pm

Just curious, anyone have any ideas what the following forts use? Fort Indiantown Gap-Pennsylvania, Fort Knox-Kentucky, or Fort Dix-New Jeresy

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:27 pm

Fort McPhereson (Fort Mac to the locals and the guys stationed there) near Atlanta, Georgia ha 3 Whelen omnis. I think they're 2804s or something like that. They had a thunderbolt on the central command office back in the 60's to my understanding.

Both of the AFBs in Georgia have sirens, Robins has Thunderbolts and modulators, and Dobbins has ASC E-classes and one lone whelen 2810.

I think there is a siren at Anniston Arsenal in Alabama. I have been by there a few years ago, and seem to recall some siren being there.
Last edited by Brendan W on Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

PeachtreeSirens
YouTube Username: PeachtreeSirens

Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:53 pm

Badger 12 wrote:Just curious, anyone have any ideas what the following forts use? Fort Indiantown Gap-Pennsylvania, Fort Knox-Kentucky, or Fort Dix-New Jeresy
Indiantown Gap has a bunch of mid-sized Mods (3012s as I recall) floating around, along with an old abandoned STL-10 at a former FD station. Knox has large ATI/E-Class type sirens from what I can see on satellite imagery. Dix appears to have solar Modulators.
Don't wait. Take a siren photo today.
I was VASirens, but I moved.Check out IRC!
Proud owner of a frozen Model A, a Darley Champion "L", an Ademco 12V beehive, a few horns, a brass whistle and several old weather radios that sound like sirens. Those last three count, right?

Fireman61341

Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:20 pm

Fort Hood Texas has quite a few Modulators, when my son in law was there a few years ago they used them for Reveille in the mornings. I did see a pretty old looking Model 5 on a pole there but I couldn't find any others.

Mark N
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:41 pm

They're usually MODs or omnidirectional Whelens.
On a side note, my grandfather was stationed at Ft. Dix, so that's cool to know!

Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:47 pm

In Randall, Minnesota, at Fort Ripley, they have a system of Whelen Vortex' s/4004's. I can't remember which; then again it was about 6 years ago, and I couldn't tell the difference between the two.
Last edited by Chicagosiren-hunters on Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, W.A. Box BOXCO, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
25, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”