Startug
YouTube Username: Ohio Sirens
Discord: JamesFisch

Re: Why do you guys hate 2001's so much?!?

Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:38 pm

I have nothing against them. I think anyone who does has a nostalgia factor involved where the new stuff just doesn't cut it for them. I love Thunderbolts out of almost all the sirens, but they're in the past now and whatever works efficiently is what's best for the company and its clients.
Owner of no sirens currently, but is looking to purchase and restore sirens for communities needing them.

motorsgears

Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:51 pm

First of all I think most sensible people would agree that purely from an emergency management standpoint that FS-2001s are very good sirens. They are quite reliable and they serve their intended purpose. When it comes to siren enthusiasts it seems there are 2 main reasons many don't like 2001s:

1. FS-2001s emit a very high pitched, thin tone when compared to virtually all other mechanical sirens. People generally find mid-low, rich tones more pleasing to the ear. If you think of sirens as voices, the lower sirens would have qualities associated with great singers (big, rich, resonant) and the FS-2001s might be like wailing babies (thin, shrill, loud). Although low tones are more pleasing they are also more ominous. Sirens with low maximum pitches can sound eerie, mournful and haunting and really get across the point that disaster is imminent.

2. FS-2001s are one of the most (if not the most) common sirens in use today. The fact that you can't throw a stone without hitting one in most areas with sirens makes them boring and uninteresting.

I feel pretty neutral about them. They aren't that interesting but they are far from the worst. If I had to pick a least favourite it would be Modulators. I actually like Whelens. For me it's all about that lower pitch and rich tone.

archangel_cpj

Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:20 pm

In the field I am replacing them due to maintaining issues the older ones had belts to spin them the newer use a gear with what amounts to a starter motor that requires yearly maintenance in most climates I literally just pulled down a 9 year old 2001 put up a 16 v2t main reason annual maintenance... I guess it costs a bit over 1K a year to maintain and you really can't do it yourself... I mean there literally is a grease fitting up on siren head really 50 feet up someone has to grease a siren.. Remember most communities buy a siren by a scratching for change it is needed to last 25 or 30 years and they can't afford a annual maintenance agreement... to be honest I've talked more than one small client out of a ac/DC unit due to their finances and future battery costs... Throw 15v2t up at FD tell them to now save 3 k or so for a small back up generator like generac and now FD has back up power and so does your siren...

uncommonsense

Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:29 pm

I personally quite like 2001s. Get them going in attack in an emergency and there's nothing quite so eerie or attention getting.
archangel_cpj wrote:In the field I am replacing them due to maintaining issues the older ones had belts to spin them the newer use a gear with what amounts to a starter motor that requires yearly maintenance in most climates I literally just pulled down a 9 year old 2001 put up a 16 v2t main reason annual maintenance... I guess it costs a bit over 1K a year to maintain and you really can't do it yourself... I mean there literally is a grease fitting up on siren head really 50 feet up someone has to grease a siren.. Remember most communities buy a siren by a scratching for change it is needed to last 25 or 30 years and they can't afford a annual maintenance agreement... to be honest I've talked more than one small client out of a ac/DC unit due to their finances and future battery costs... Throw 15v2t up at FD tell them to now save 3 k or so for a small back up generator like generac and now FD has back up power and so does your siren...
Fascinating. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

archangel_cpj

Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:35 am

BEST PART WAS WHEN MY GUYS PULLED DOWN 2001 STUFF THE BATTERIES WERE 10 YEARS OLD YOU'D THINK THEY WOULD OF BEEN REPLACED. THE LITTLE INDICATOR SAID IT WAS GOOD BUT Average life of a battery is 5 to 7 years max then they should be replaced especially if they are not load tested yearly which really is the only definitive way to tell condition of battery... But I could be wrong wouldn't be first time

jp_24

Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:52 am

Haha I know everyone is saying that the main reason is because they're everywhere, but I live in PA, and honestly I've never even seen one
Sirens: Federal Signal model A

PM me if you live in the Philly/Main Line area and wanna talk sirens :3t22:

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPXSr5 ... 5G31rgMamw

4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:54 am

Either way, them being to common is not a good point at all, to be honest. Whether or not a siren is common doesn't matter, it's how it gets the job done that matters. Sirens weren't installed with siren enthusiasts in mind.
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

EOWS1212man
YouTube Username: BFDfire288

Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:48 am

jp_24 wrote:Haha I know everyone is saying that the main reason is because they're everywhere, but I live in PA, and honestly I've never even seen one
Exactly, I really don't think I have a say, because up here in NY there are really not that many 2001s. I can only think 1 2001 within a 200 mile radius of where I live. I can count the number of 2001s I've ever seen on one hand, and all of them were on a trip to Ohio. We have a variety of sirens up here in the northeast, and it is awesome.
Proud owner of a Model A, Model 2, Model 2T and Model 5

Mark N
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:27 am

I think 2001s are excellent sirens. Having grown up around one strangely put in a town like mine (mentioned above) its a really great siren. The range isn't too great because its at the bottom of a bunch of hills, but its still awesome. It's also cool that it's a fire siren, because when I first started, it was strange to see them as tornado sirens. Ironically enough, they are rare here (also mentioned above, I think it's the only one since the one in Elmira hasn't been found yet).

CycloneFan125
YouTube Username: Sirens & Elevators

Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:54 pm

Because FS 2001's are everywhere? Having a whole bunch of local FS 2001's is like seeing a whole bunch of Boeing 737's at the airport. Luckily where I live we have more T-128's than 2001's.
Last edited by CycloneFan125 on Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”