4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Fantasy Siren Map Challenges!

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:39 am

FSMC HUB POST
This post is the main post for the Fantasy Siren Map Challenges. This includes the leaderboard, instructions, requirements, dates, etc. Refer back to this post often as there may be updates!

(IF ANYONE HAS QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS, PM ME PRIVATELY. DO NOT POST QUESTIONS AND/OR SUGGESTIONS IN THE THREAD. TRY TO MAKE ALL POSTS IN THIS THREAD SUBMISSIONS AND CHALLENGE POSTS. THANK YOU.)

Intro:
The Fantasy Siren Map Challenges let your creative side show. They allow you to face off with other users in designing your own theoretical siren systems on Google Maps.

DISCLAIMER:If you feel more comfortable using Google Earth, like I do, you can create your system in Google Earth then export it as a KML into Google Maps. It is recommended you create your system in its own independent folder.

Instructions:
(I am aware many of you know how to use Google Maps, but I have implemented a tutorial for using it, as some members may not be so familiar with it.)
First of all, you need to know how to use the Google Maps maps creator. This can be found by going into Google Maps, clicking the options button in the search bar, clicking "My Maps," and then clicking "CREATE MAP." From here you can click the title (Defaulted to "Untitled Map") and call your map whatever you want. You can also add a description here (Which will come back up later!) So now what? You need to start deciding where to place your sirens! Generally, siren are in areas that provide efficient coverage, or areas with lots of people. They are also usually a mile or two apart from each other. When it really comes down to it though, the placement is up to you! Your systems can include any type of siren, old or new, still made or not (Unless directed otherwise). You also need to make sure your map pertains to the challenge (See Times below). You will be given an area to work with, usually a city, but it may occasionally be a military base, nuclear plant, or something else. Now you need to make your map public, so that I and other users are able to view it. To do that, you simply need to click the "Share," button under the title, then check the box that says public. Click save, and there you go! Now, to post it in this topic, use this format:

FSMC #[Number goes here]

[Map link goes here (Make sure it's public!)]

[Brief description can go here, including history of system, activation/testing protocols, etc.]

And that's about it!

PLEASE MAKE YOUR MAPS ACCESSIBLE BY LINK ONLY!
Users searching for actual siren system maps have been getting linked to FSMC maps. Please make your map accessible through a link only. Thank you!

Map Extras:
Icons:
If you would like to have custom Google Maps Icons to use in your maps, check my Imgur Map Icons Album. To use them, click on the siren picture you want to use. Right click that picture, and click "Copy Image Address." (This is Chrome, for other browsers you may need to instead right click on the picture and choose "Open image in a new tab," then copy the address at the top.) Once you've copied that address, go into you map. Click the little paint bucket next to an icon of the left sidebar. Click "More Icons," then "Custom Icon." Choose "Image URL," and paste the address into the box. All you should have to do now is click "Select." (Feel free to use these in your other maps too!)
Siren Radius Circles:
It helps to have your map finished before you do this.
Go to this website and zoom to the map location (If it helps, switch to "Satellite" view in the top right). Before you place your first radius, pick the design of the radius under the "Colours and Line Thickness" tab, and then pick the distance by typing in one of the provided boxes labeled "Radius Distance." Now mark where each siren is within your fantasy system with its corresponding distance. When you are completely finished, click "Generate KML," and save it. Go into your map and create a new layer, then click "Import Data." Select the KML file you saved, and voila! It may have defaulted the color and thickness, but those can usually be altered in the Google Map itself.

Times:
Fantasy Siren Map Challenges will start every Saturday evening at 5:00 PM EST (Unless I need to start them earlier or later). This is when I will make a post with the details of the challenge, including location and other specifications. They will end the following Friday at 5:00 PM EST, unless stated otherwise.

Grading Scale:
The scoring system has improved! This is how it will work now:

1st Place=+15 points
2nd Place=+10 points
3rd Place=+5 points

You will be graded on multiple aspects, including spacing of sirens, siren trends, and realism. Feel free to tell a story about your system too!
As a side note, try to avoid using spots where sirens actually are in real life, especially the same sirens.

And lastly, remember that although this is a challenge, it is really all in good fun,, and arguing over whose maps are better in not necessary, and will prevent you from placing/participating in any further challenges. Luckily, no one has done such a thing, but I just wanted to put that out as a precaution.

LEADER BOARD:
1st: Synther [80]
2nd: Spencerlovestrains [75]
3rd: Kentuckysirens [55]
4th: Valtonus [20]
5th: Tboyer1999 [15]
5th: MaumeeStormMaster [10], and Tyler [10]
6th: JMAN1234610 [5], Stormsetter4 [5], and bobcat418 [5]
Last edited by 4J25 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:41 pm, edited 51 times in total.
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

4J25

Re: Fantasy Siren Map Challenges!

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:46 am

FSMC #1

Briefing:
Here is challenge number one! We are going to start off somewhat easy, with Marion County which is in Kentucky. Marion county is in the center of Kentucky, and it's largest town is Lebanon, with a population of 5,629 (As of 2013). There are also smaller towns, like Raywick, Loretto, and Bradfordsville. They do have a current system that consists of Whelen Hornets and 2/3T22's, but for this, they don't even exist. It's time for you, the creators, to devise your own system that you think would save the people of Marion County from impending danger.

The starting time is 8:45 PM EDT, and ending time is 10:30 PM EDT. Have fun!

PeachtreeSirens
YouTube Username: PeachtreeSirens

Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:46 am

Well that was fast!

Here's my submission. 100% Sentry, doesn't include any random old fire sirens or anything like that. Tried to strike a balance between coverage and cost...but I definitely leaned towards coverage.
Don't wait. Take a siren photo today.
I was VASirens, but I moved.Check out IRC!
Proud owner of a frozen Model A, a Darley Champion "L", an Ademco 12V beehive, a few horns, a brass whistle and several old weather radios that sound like sirens. Those last three count, right?

Sirenguy02

Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:06 am

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

Here's my submission, a few dead zones in some parts, but I think it works.
~Mitchell Tsokatos
Owner of a P-10 and Model L

sirendude2012
YouTube Username: legomn54321

Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:10 am

My entry. The following placement of sirens and siren choice would cost the county around $300,000 total (pretty cheap for a county-wide system) and adequately cover a majority of the population.

All of the sirens are made by American Outdoor Notification Systems (AONS)

Signal usage.
Severe Thunderstorm Warnings: All sirens will do Alert.
Tornado Warning: All sirens will do Attack.
Fire: Dual-Tone Coded sirens will do High-Low. Single-Tone coded sirens and non-coded sirens will do Fast Wail.
Imminent Nuclear Disaster: All coded sirens will do Pulse. Non-coded sirens will do a sort of Yelp.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing
THUNDERBOLT HAS BEEN SOLD

Josh
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: MetroSignal
Discord: Josh555#0001

Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:31 am

here is mine. it was made in a hurry! https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing
- Josh
proud owner of a Federal Signal corporation Model A

4J25

Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:43 am

The results are in, and
VASirens
has won this FSMC! Congratulations! I picked his because it covered the crucial areas (Like Lebanon) with plenty of sirens, then, the smaller towns got one or two smaller sirens. I also liked how for Loretto and St. Francis he used 16V1T-B's to also cover the surrounding areas.

Now some comments on the other maps. Josh555's map was good, but it seems like it was a little overkill.

Sirendude's map was very neat, although it would have been nice to have a real-world siren to compare his siren designs with. :wink:

Thanks to everyone for participating, and hopefully we can have another challenge tomorrow!

Mark N
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:12 am

Darn! ran outta time! Oh well, maybe next time...
Is there a way to create county borders on Google maps while making a map?

4J25

Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:17 am

I wish, but for some odd reason they just plain don't show the county borders. :/

Mark N
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:19 am

4J25 wrote:I wish, but for some odd reason they just plain don't show the county borders. :/
Oh well, but I can't wait to try to stab at tomorrow's challenge! This is a great idea!

Return to “Siren Maps”