Vey198885

Amarillo, TX P-50 Questions

Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:33 am

So I heard that there was supposedly a P-50 in Amarillo, TX
I know that there have been tons of posts about it already, but all the information has been scattered around
on different posts, so I was thinking we could post it here.

What I know:

A picture was uploaded to the siren archive, showing a P-50 and the text "Amarillo, TX". But,
no-one has been able to find it.It might have been replaced, or, as some people say, the person
who uploaded it got it wrong. We will probably never know.

But what I want to know is,
Has anyone ever managed to track down the person who uploaded the picture?

And also in this video filmed in Amarillo, it seems that a P-50 is going off in the background. I mean, its probably a Cyclone (if Amarillo has one), but it still got me wondering.

https://youtu.be/NGQGidFhxXI
Attachments
amarillo-p-50.jpg
amarillo-p-50.jpg (5.53 KiB) Viewed 4100 times

Mark N
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Amarillo, TX P-50 Questions

Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:09 pm

Remember that this picture was taken in 2001. For all we know the guy who took the photo may not even still live there. However, there are members who are still on here familiar with the area, so hopefully it'll clear things up.
Amarillo has Cyclones, so theres a good chance that's what you're hearing.

connerdstines

Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:25 pm

This did not exist. Another enthusiast friend here, KDKsiren, has asked emergency management about it and they said they've never purchased a P-50. We have about 7 Cyclones here, that's what your hearing. I'm fairly certain the watermark on the photo is incorrect.
Down to a Thunderbolt chopper, still a few goofy flashlight-siren combos, and a Model L.

Vey198885

Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:08 pm

Has anyone ever seen/found the area the P-50 is/was actually in?

Side note: The link in the picture strangely leads to the United Volunteer Fire & Rescue:
http://www.uvfr.org/

Mark N
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:42 pm

Vey198885 wrote:Has anyone ever seen/found the area the P-50 is/was actually in?

Side note: The link in the picture strangely leads to the United Volunteer Fire & Rescue:
http://www.uvfr.org/
It could be anywhere, because its such a simple mix up.
The reason that the link leads there is because the owners of the archive owned an emergency vehicle siren business of some sort.

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:21 pm

The it's about 99% likely that this P-50 is not in West Texas at all, unless it was part of the old Plainview system which was taken down years ago. I can say with confidence that this siren is/was in Texas or Oklahoma, based on the architecture style of the homes behind the siren. I haven't really seen homes built like those anywhere but here, OK, and maybe some places in LA. That style of house was very popular from about the late-60s into the late-80's. If anywhere, it was probably somewhere in North Texas...
-The Princess

Vey198885

Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:29 pm

SirenkiD wrote:The it's about 99% likely that this P-50 is not in West Texas at all, unless it was part of the old Plainview system which was taken down years ago. I can say with confidence that this siren is/was in Texas or Oklahoma, based on the architecture style of the homes behind the siren. I haven't really seen homes built like those anywhere but here, OK, and maybe some places in LA. That style of house was very popular from about the late-60s into the late-80's. If anywhere, it was probably somewhere in North Texas...
Sorry to bump but what was the Plainview System? I tried to search the board but nothing really came up
:\

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Nobody knows.
-The Princess

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”