GreenblottF
YouTube Username: TheGameShack

Whelen WPS-2910 system in New London, CT

Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:52 pm

So I'm in New London for the summer, like I do every year. However, New London and the neighboring areas have a network of hurricane/storm sirens consisting solely of fairly old Whelen WPS-2910's. The strange thing is, they never test them. They are operational, they sound all the time when there's a bad thunderstorm coming. At least, not during the summer when I'm there. If anyone has more information about this mysterious siren network please let me know :).

Below are two pictures of the many 2910's I took yesterday.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Now a proud owner of a Federal Electric Model 66! :)

Check out my YouTube Channel! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCcVrvMjO7o-ByaEq9IkBpuw

3t22
YouTube Username: federal3t22

Re: Whelen WPS-2910 system in New London, CT

Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:54 am

Those are for the Millstone power plant in Waterford. 81 of them scattered through out the 10 EPZ replaced a fairly large (125+) ancient system of various WS 2000s, mostly 2016s in 2009. Not sure if New London does any monthly tests, but near by East Lyme sure does, on the 1st Wednesday of the month at 11am in voice, attack (fast wail), and alert. The plant does an annual disaster drill, not sure exactly when now, use to be in April in conjunction with the former CT Yankee Atomic plant, where the entire system is tested in 3 minutes of alert.

Hope this helps
Proud owner of a 2T, 5, M-5, 1000 Head, 7T, 3T22, and a single toned 2

GreenblottF
YouTube Username: TheGameShack

Re: Whelen WPS-2910 system in New London, CT

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:42 pm

3t22 wrote:Those are for the Millstone power plant in Waterford. 81 of them scattered through out the 10 EPZ replaced a fairly large (125+) ancient system of various WS 2000s, mostly 2016s in 2009. Not sure if New London does any monthly tests, but near by East Lyme sure does, on the 1st Wednesday of the month at 11am in voice, attack (fast wail), and alert. The plant does an annual disaster drill, not sure exactly when now, use to be in April in conjunction with the former CT Yankee Atomic plant, where the entire system is tested in 3 minutes of alert.

Hope this helps
Huh. That's very interesting! I knew there was a power plant in Waterford but I didn't know it was a nuclear power plant :O

Also thanks for the info about the sirens. New London barely tests their system, if at all. I've only heard them test maybe once or twice. I distinctly remember New London used to test theirs in Pulsed Wail, Voice and Alert but I didn't know the system changed to Fast Wail. Thanks again for the info! :D
Now a proud owner of a Federal Electric Model 66! :)

Check out my YouTube Channel! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCcVrvMjO7o-ByaEq9IkBpuw

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”