Wdr

Re: Thunderbolt 1003A help and pictures.

Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:10 pm

Surplus center has a decent selection of pulleys as well as belts for good prices. I wouldn't imagine the pulleys are anything proprietary on thunderbolts, just get one of the same measurements.

Someone else may be able to post the exact size of pulley needed, I do not know what it is off hand.

QuantumCurse
YouTube Username: Owen Yokley

Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:14 pm

Wdr wrote:Surplus center has a decent selection of pulleys as well as belts for good prices. I wouldn't imagine the pulleys are anything proprietary on thunderbolts, just get one of the same measurements.

Someone else may be able to post the exact size of pulley needed, I do not know what it is off hand.
I will look into it and report back. Thank you for the information.
Proudly own a Edwards Model E, a Federal Enterprises Model 2, and a semi butched Thunderbolt 1003A converted to "B". Possibly a 3T22 soon.
From the state that was first in flight and last to fight

Westgate Thunderbolt

Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:03 am

That pulley is more commonly called a sheave. Unless you want the exact one made by the same manufacture there is nothing special about them. I don't know what your budget is, but you can find them all day long on eBay relatively inexpensively. You do need to know the diameter. Any size change will change the rotating speed of the blower. As far as what sheave you have, usually there is a number cast or stamped in it. This will give you all the information you need as far as belt quantity and type, diameter and sheave/QD split tapered bushing type. You have to match the correct sheave to the correct bushing.

Sheaves are held on to the shaft by means of a QD split tapered bushing. The center of the sheave is tapered as well as the outside of the bushing. Two or three bolts on one side of the bushing pull the sheave onto the bushing mating the two tapered surfaces together. As you tighten the bolts the tapered surface of the sheave squeezes against the tapered surface of the bushing. This in turn squeezes the bushing tighter and tighter to the shaft.

For removal of the sheave the bushing should have four or six holes on one side. One set should have bolts in it holding the sheave tight to the bushing. The other two should be open and threaded. Remove the two or three bolts holding the sheave to the bushing. Then insert the bolts into the open threaded holes. Evenly thread the bolts in slowly alternating between each one. This will evenly press the sheave free from the bushing. The sheave will eventually freely fall away. Once the sheave is free from the bushing the bushing should be able to be removed from the shaft and then remove the sheave.
Owner of a Federal Electric Model 2, Federal Sign and Signal SD-10, Federal Sign and Signal 1000(T) and a H.O.R. Si-Rex 7:10 Omnidirectional

QuantumCurse

Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:14 pm

Small update but I've managed to get a rotator gear courtesy of CDV777-1. I think it's best that I get a complete RCM1A panel. I think I can part out the old one if anyone wants parts of it. It is untested. I'm still looking for an RCM3 panel as well. As for the pulley on the blower motor I have yet to try to get it off because of prep for school and band camp. I will update again in the future. But any points towards the RCM panels would be great appreciated.
Proudly own a Edwards Model E, a Federal Enterprises Model 2, and a semi butched Thunderbolt 1003A converted to "B". Possibly a 3T22 soon.

QuantumCurse

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:24 pm

Also as a side note the screen for the projector is gone. Is there any way to replace it with standard window screen?

Unit of Civil Defense

Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:31 am

QuantumCurse wrote:Also as a side note the screen for the projector is gone. Is there any way to replace it with standard window screen?
From what I have seen used it would appear that hail screen was installed at the factory....hail screen is available at your favorite hardware store.....
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

TboltTX1
YouTube Username: TboltTX1, Sentry40V2T

Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:38 pm

Unit of Civil Defense wrote:
QuantumCurse wrote:Also as a side note the screen for the projector is gone. Is there any way to replace it with standard window screen?
From what I have seen used it would appear that hail screen was installed at the factory....hail screen is available at your favorite hardware store.....
To echo the previous reply, I was able to buy a roll of window screen at Home Depot and trim it to fit.
Thunderbolt Screen Frame.jpg
Thunderbolt Screen Frame.jpg (38.6 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
Screen Trim Installation Tool.jpg
This tool will be useful for reinstalling the screen trim back into the frame
Thunderbolt With Screen Installed.jpg
Completed Installation
Thunderbolt With Screen Installed.jpg (60.61 KiB) Viewed 5220 times

QuantumCurse

Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:07 pm

TboltTX1 wrote:
Unit of Civil Defense wrote:
To echo the previous reply, I was able to buy a roll of window screen at Home Depot and trim it to fit.
One of these tools will also come in handy to reinstall the retainer trim back into the screen frame.
The images didn't show up.

TboltTX1
YouTube Username: TboltTX1, Sentry40V2T

Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:21 am

QuantumCurse wrote:The images didn't show up.
Whoops, my bad. Hopefully they are working now.

QuantumCurse

Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:25 pm

TboltTX1 wrote:
QuantumCurse wrote:The images didn't show up.
Whoops, my bad. Hopefully they are working now.
No sir. Nothing but a grey circle with a line in it.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”