QuantumCurse
YouTube Username: Owen Yokley

Re: Thunderbolt 1003A help and pictures.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:59 am

Another small update. I've moved it into a garage and have successfully taken it apart. I've also replaced the rotator gear and am getting a motor to replace the 3 phase one. I've also got a single phase blower but it's cap. start cap. run and the caps are in a separate housing. I intend to fit it into an ARCH panel or the like to have it run with the RCM1b panel I'm piecing together. Still need any type of RCM3 panel and parts for my RCM1b panel. Also side note the chopper motor only hums and I can't figure out why. Any thoughts?
Proudly own a Edwards Model E, a Federal Enterprises Model 2, and a semi butched Thunderbolt 1003A converted to "B". Possibly a 3T22 soon.
From the state that was first in flight and last to fight

SoundMaster 391
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: SoundMaster 391

Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:16 am

Also side note the chopper motor only hums and I can't figure out why. Any thoughts?
Could you take a picture of the motor. My guess is that it might be something with the Armature or Brushes.
Owner of a Federal Enterprises Model 2, Federal Electric Model D, Sentry F2 and AR Timer
Click here for SoundMasters YouTube Channel

QuantumCurse

Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:18 am

SoundMaster 391 wrote:
Also side note the chopper motor only hums and I can't figure out why. Any thoughts?
Could you take a picture of the motor. My guess is that it might be something with the Armature or Brushes.
I will tomorrow. When I pulled the motor out the armature was pulled up and the brushes were rubbing against the lower part of it.
Proudly own a Edwards Model E, a Federal Enterprises Model 2, and a semi butched Thunderbolt 1003A converted to "B". Possibly a 3T22 soon.

SoundMaster 391
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: SoundMaster 391

Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:21 am

QuantumCurse wrote:
SoundMaster 391 wrote:
I will tomorrow. When I pulled the motor out the armature was pulled up and the brushes were rubbing against the lower part of it.
Wait so you didn't take the brushes out before pulling out the Chopper and Armature?
Owner of a Federal Enterprises Model 2, Federal Electric Model D, Sentry F2 and AR Timer
Click here for SoundMasters YouTube Channel

QuantumCurse

Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:45 am

SoundMaster 391 wrote:
QuantumCurse wrote:
SoundMaster 391 wrote: Could you take a picture of the motor. My guess is that it might be something with the Armature or Brushes.
Wait so you didn't take the brushes out before pulling out the Chopper and Armature?
It was like that when I pulled it out of the housing. The motor came out like that.

QuantumCurse

Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:24 pm

The motor pictures are here. Side note, how easy is it to find a single phase rotator motor for like a Tractor Supply or Harbor Freight?
Attachments
20160821_203859.jpg
20160821_203705.jpg
20160821_203657.jpg
20160821_203650.jpg

Mr Someone

YouTube Username: Mr.Someone

Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:33 pm

QuantumCurse wrote:Also as a side note the screen for the projector is gone. Is there any way to replace it with standard window screen?
Id say any mesh that can pass large amounts of air through it and can block small debris would be fine :TBolt:
Tom :-)

QuantumCurse

Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:26 pm

Mr Someone wrote:
QuantumCurse wrote:Also as a side note the screen for the projector is gone. Is there any way to replace it with standard window screen?
Id say any mesh that can pass large amounts of air through it and can block small debris would be fine :TBolt:
Thanks.

QuantumCurse

Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:36 am

I've been doing some work on this in the past week and now that school has started I'm going to put this in the middle burner. I've managed to replace the 3 phase blower motor with a single phase one that was used in farm equipment. That being said if anyone needs one I'll let it go for cheap but you have to either pick it up or send someone to.

Anyway back to the topic at hand, I've removed the horn and whatnot to get to the motor as mentioned above. I've also run it in a risky way (not contactors please don't kill me) to ensure that it runs. It does and sounds nice.

My next move is to get it all sand blasted and primed, get the blower motor hooked up to it's capacitors and finally get the parts for the pseudo RCM1B panel. If anyone has an AGASTAT or a transformer similar to the one in it I'll buy it. Thanks for all the replies. Tomorrow I shall post pictures of it.

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:07 pm

Your transformer should be ok.
It looks like only those 3 wires were
Disconnected. I would be VERY surprised if there is something wrong with it.
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”