DrDanthrax99

Re: Thunderbolt 1003A help and pictures.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:46 am

Can I see rotator the wires? If there's only two my 208-240 hunch may be right after all.
I'm not an electrician but I know there's people on this site who know more than I that may benefit from seeing that up close.
"I'm a Clinically Depressed Fecalpheliac on Prozac."

QuantumCurse
YouTube Username: Owen Yokley

Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:18 pm

DrDanthrax99 wrote:Can I see rotator the wires? If there's only two my 208-240 hunch may be right after all.
I'm not an electrician but I know there's people on this site who know more than I that may benefit from seeing that up close.
Here is the picture. You might have to zoom in to see it.
Attachments
20160802_164248.jpg
An older picture. Still can see the 3 wires.
Proudly own a Edwards Model E, a Federal Enterprises Model 2, and a semi butched Thunderbolt 1003A converted to "B". Possibly a 3T22 soon.
From the state that was first in flight and last to fight

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:59 pm

I didn't cut them.
I guess the hack that got hold of the RCM did that then? In the one picture the blue and black are sticking out of the solenoid housing cut at
an angle. That's why I mentioned it.
Can I see rotator the wires? If there's only two my 208-240 hunch may be right after all.
It's a three phase rotator. It has the same type of motor my 1003 had in it. In fact Jeb got that motor and I think it's in one of his restored sirens.
I'm just baffled at the 480v rotator motor on a 208-240 label, but, it could have been rewired for all I know.
Most three phase motors can be wired for low or high voltage. It's just part of the hookup of the motor. The way the motor winding leads a
are hooked up. The blower tag shows that. The rotoator motor is a three phase that only runs on 208/240 or, I don't know, it might be able to be hooked up high voltage. I never took the plates off of mine to see how many windings there were in them. The earlier thunderbolt three phase rotator motors I have seen were able to be wired low or high voltage.
Last edited by CDV777-1 on Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

QuantumCurse

Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:02 pm

CDV777-1 wrote:
I didn't cut them.
I guess the hack that got hold of the RCM did that then? In the one picture the blue and black are sticking out of the solenoid housing cut at
an angle. That's why I mentioned it.
It's a three phase rotator. It has the same type of motor my 1003 had in it. In fact Jeb got that motor and I think it's in one of his restored sirens.
I'm just baffled at the 480v rotator motor on a 208-240 label, but, it could have been rewired for all I know.
Most three phase motors can be wired for low or high voltage. It's just part of the hookup of the motor. The way the motor winding leads a
are hooked up. The blower tag shows that. The rotoator motor is a three phase that only runs on 208/240. The earlier thunderbolt three phase
rotator motors I have seen were able to be wired low or high voltage.
But it doesn't explain the only two hot wires and a neutral. I've never seen something like that and neither has anyone who has helped me work on it.
Proudly own a Edwards Model E, a Federal Enterprises Model 2, and a semi butched Thunderbolt 1003A converted to "B". Possibly a 3T22 soon.

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:04 pm

But it doesn't explain the only two hot wires and a neutral. I've never seen something like that and neither has anyone who has helped me work on it.
Just because they are white, black and black doesn't mean they are two hots and a neutral. That's just what wire they used when they hooked it up.
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

QuantumCurse

Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:06 pm

CDV777-1 wrote:
Just because they are white, black and black doesn't mean they are two hots and a neutral. That's just what wire they used when they hooked it up.
I see. That makes more sense.

QuantumCurse

Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:06 am

Hey sorry to bump my own topic but I've made progress! My blower box has been sanded and primed. I've also found an RCM3 panel for it. I'm currently very indecisive about what color to paint it. Grey looks nice and I'm leaning towards white. I don't want a CD yellow because it's pretty common to find them in that flavor. What do you guys think?

T1000 Charlie

Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:42 pm

My Agastat was bad so I made one out of 3 timers off Ebay. I timed several different T-bolts on Youtube and used that timing. I may still have the drawing of it. It comes on then off, then resets.
PM me if I can help.
There is no such thing as a Thunderbolt that is not worth saving.

QuantumCurse

Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:44 pm

T1000 Charlie wrote:My Agastat was bad so I made one out of 3 timers off Ebay. I timed several different T-bolts on Youtube and used that timing. I may still have the drawing of it. It comes on then off, then resets.
PM me if I can help.
I was able to grab an AGASTAT from eBay but I haven't tested it.

T1000 Charlie

Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:16 pm

Good deal! Agastat is just a delayed off relay. In other words it comes on, the cycles off, but continues to run and resets. I think 8 on, 4 off. I used a computer fan for simulation. Wife walks by and looks at it like huh?
Women just never understand how proud men can be of their small accomplishments.
There is no such thing as a Thunderbolt that is not worth saving.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”