Snowcube
YouTube Username: Snowcube
Discord: lumex

Some siren questions

Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:19 pm

So I have wanted to ask these for years but I never thought to ask on here. Please pardon if this is not in the right section since I am new here (been lurking for around 4 years) Here they are:

1. Was the 10/12 port banshee ever actually installed somewhere? Some say that they are real but I have never seen any info on them.

2. The ACA allertor was capable of doing a "Yelp" signal. This is where the siren runs to full power and then the motor reverses. Since the Penetrator and Banshee are quite similar to the allertor, could they also do the yelp signal?

3. Was an 8/10 port siren other than the ACA Hurricane made? I have heard that supposedly the allertor was made with this port ratio at one point but others say that it is a myth.

4. Was the 12 port single tone allertor ever an option and was it installed anywhere?

5. Not as related, but does anyone know what happened to the 8/12 port allertor that was in Minneapolis MN? I was planning on purchasing it as it would have been a dream come true for me plus it would be my first siren and I could afford it. But then it disappeared from eBay. What happened to it? Who got it? If it is someone who is taking good care of it it probably will make me feel a bit better about missing out on a once in a lifetime opportunity.

6. Was the ACA Hurricane offered in a port ratio other than 8/10?

7. Was the P-50 ever made with a different HP motor or port ratio? Why does it need a 50 HP motor?

That's all I have for now, but I might have more later.
I have an unhealthy obsession with mini sirens.
Thingiverse page

Josh_S
YouTube Username: WI Fox Valley Lifts and Alarms

Re: Some siren questions

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:49 pm

Zarlog wrote:So I have wanted to ask these for years but I never thought to ask on here. Please pardon if this is not in the right section since I am new here (been lurking for around 4 years) Here they are:

1. Was the 10/12 port banshee ever actually installed somewhere? Some say that they are real but I have never seen any info on them.

2. The ACA allertor was capable of doing a "Yelp" signal. This is where the siren runs to full power and then the motor reverses. Since the Penetrator and Banshee are quite similar to the allertor, could they also do the yelp signal?

3. Was an 8/10 port siren other than the ACA Hurricane made? I have heard that supposedly the allertor was made with this port ratio at one point but others say that it is a myth.

4. Was the 12 port single tone allertor ever an option and was it installed anywhere?

5. Not as related, but does anyone know what happened to the 8/12 port allertor that was in Minneapolis MN? I was planning on purchasing it as it would have been a dream come true for me plus it would be my first siren and I could afford it. But then it disappeared from eBay. What happened to it? Who got it? If it is someone who is taking good care of it it probably will make me feel a bit better about missing out on a once in a lifetime opportunity.

7. Was the P-50 ever made with a different HP motor or port ratio? Why does it need a 50 HP motor?

That's all I have for now, but I might have more later.
1. Very possible, I know some other users have mentioned the possible existence of such.
2. As far as that, I am not sure about the yelp signal but there were some Banshees that had a damper to create different coded signals. Dane County, WI had at least two of these Banshees. One was removed quite a few years ago (there is a picture floating around somewhere that Matt took) and the other was just recently removed. They did offer a damper coded version of the P-XX as well.
3. I haven't seen any documentation on any siren that was 8/10 besides the hurricane.
5. There was a company in MN that did all of the removals, Frontline iirc, they would be the ones to ask in regards to left over siren units.
6. As far as actually production I haven't heard of any Hurricane's that were anything but 8/10, however there has been talk that the siren was offered in multiple port ratios.
7. The P-50 is huge. The horn itself is something like 6 feet in diameter. The chopper in the siren is three feet in diameter and it takes a LOT of HP to drive a chopper that large.
Proud owner of a ATI HPSS16R, a Whelen Hornet, and an ASC T-128ACDC

Snowcube

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:34 pm

Thanks for replying. Has anyone ever seen a Penetrator with the damper?
Thingiverse page

4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:52 pm

Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

Snowcube

Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:00 am

4J25 wrote:Supposedly this is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kqp53S6kuA
I have seen that video before. I don't see where a solenoid could go. Could it have had one originally but it got removed for some reason? Also, why is the damper half-shut?
Thingiverse page

Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:43 am

IIRC, didn't Ian get the 8/12 Allertor?
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, W.A. Box BOXCO, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
25, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

SoundMaster 391
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: SoundMaster 391

Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:06 am

Yes, 12 port was indeed a option for the Allertor. In the manual it is listed as a "special single tone".
All I know is that it was in the hands of Jeb Mccraine (known as Holler on the forums) . In a video that he posted back in 2014, the description said that he was restoring it for a friend. I am unsure what happened to the siren after that. Here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvxVfglOs14
Yes. This is the list of port ratios it could come in.

Special Dual Tone: 8/12 port.
Dual Tone: 10/12 port
Single Tone: 8 port
Single Tone: 10 port
Single Tone: 12 port

Hope this helped.
Owner of a Federal Enterprises Model 2, Federal Electric Model D, Sentry F2 and AR Timer
Click here for SoundMasters YouTube Channel

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: UtahSirens

Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:43 pm

SoundMaster 391 wrote:
Yes, 12 port was indeed a option for the Allertor. In the manual it is listed as a "special single tone".
I'm pretty sure "special single tone" meant 8 port. Few of those were installed in Hoffman Estates, IL.
State of Utah siren map - My channel
STH-10, SD-10, 2 Model 2s

Snowcube

Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:56 pm

Synther wrote:
SoundMaster 391 wrote:
I'm pretty sure "special single tone" meant 8 port. Few of those were installed in Hoffman Estates, IL.
I know about the 8 port allertor. Only 2 were installed in Hoffman Estates, and 1 was replaced with a T-128 but the other is still there. Someone on Youtube (Blue10AEMia) got the other one.

Also, another question. Are Werden P-127 sirens new or just refurbished P-15's?
Thingiverse page

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: UtahSirens

Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:08 pm

Zarlog wrote:
Synther wrote:
SoundMaster 391 wrote: Also, another question. Are Werden P-127 sirens new or just refurbished P-15's?
P-127s are pretty much re-branded P-15s that Clayton Werden is/was manufacturing.
State of Utah siren map - My channel
STH-10, SD-10, 2 Model 2s

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”