SoundMaster 391
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: SoundMaster 391

Need help on wiring my Model 2

Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:05 pm

I am currently working on my Model 2 project. So far I have a motor starter and I am soon going to get a AR Timer, a 3000 watt step up transformer and a Thunderbolt 1000 chopper motor. My question is how do you connect everything? Do I just connect a 240v plug from the step up transformer to the AR, and then wire the AR to the motor starter? Also what type of 240v plug should I use to connect to my AR?
Attachments
AR Model 2 Wiring Diagram.png
Owner of a Federal Enterprises Model 2, Federal Electric Model D, Sentry F2 and AR Timer
Click here for SoundMasters YouTube Channel

coastalsyrolover

Re: Need help on wiring my Model 2

Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:12 pm

I just plug my thunderbolt into the wall. But I don't think you can do that with a model 2... im not an expert so maybe someone who knows more can correct me but I think that you can go from the transformer, to the timer to the starter so long as the starter is wired up correctly. Don't forget to ground it though. EDIT: I think one of those dryer plugs with a ground can do it. But again I'd get more straight info from someone who knows more before attempting it...
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

SoundMaster 391
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:17 pm

Okay, thanks.
Owner of a Federal Enterprises Model 2, Federal Electric Model D, Sentry F2 and AR Timer

dilloncarpenter

Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:25 pm

You shouldn't need a transformer to run that 2. The power supply hooks up to the motor starter and timer separately and the timer hooks up to the motor starter. You can also hook the 2 up directly into the wall like a Thunderbolt.
Kicking it in the siren party since '08

SoundMaster 391
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:38 am

N/A

SoundMaster 391
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:50 pm

dilloncarpenter wrote: The power supply hooks up to the motor starter and timer separately and the timer hooks up to the motor starter. You can also hook the 2 up directly into the wall like a Thunderbolt.
Do you have a schematic drawing for the wiring? I am still a little confused on how everything will go together.

DrDanthrax99

Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:51 pm

It depends if you want to run it as a unit or just the siren motor manually.
To manually do it, I've one where the chopper leads were wired to a 240V cord.

To run it as a unit is explained in the manual, but I'll try to do my best.

Your AR Timer will be running off its own separate power supply, you can run it off of the 120V coming out of the sockets in your house, or 240V like the siren itself.

For the 2, the AR timer has leads that connect to the siren's motor starter, as shown in the diagram you posted, actually, so when you push a button, the timer has cams inside that tell the motor starter to energize, and/or de-energize if it's running an attack cycle. Then, there are wires that come from the motor starter and need to be connected to the siren motor.

All the proper wire sizes, diagrams, and power requirements are in the manual, and its nothing most people don't have in their garage.
Just make sure you're 100% safe about playing with electricity.
"I'm a Clinically Depressed Fecalpheliac on Prozac."

SoundMaster 391
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:24 pm

Okay. I think I get it now (Sorry if I am wrong). So the AR has its own separate power supply (120V or 240V) which connects to terminals 8 & 9 (120V) or terminals 7 & 9 (240V). Then terminals 1 & 2 connect to the motor starter terminals 3 (AR terminal 1) & L1 (AR terminal 2) . Now for the motor starter where do the 240V wires connect to?

dilloncarpenter

Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:51 pm

Your 240V into the motor starter will go to L1 and L2 on that schematic. Make sure you use a ground as well.
Kicking it in the siren party since '08

SoundMaster 391
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:30 am

dilloncarpenter wrote:Your 240V into the motor starter will go to L1 and L2 on that schematic. Make sure you use a ground as well.
I changed the wiring diagram a little. Is this how you're supposed to wire it? Also is it bad for the 2 wires on terminal L1 to be touching each other?
Attachments
AR Model 2 Wiring Diagram.png

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”