Rheems1

Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:51 pm

Hmm.. well than maybe it isn't the Cyclone that malfunctioned... either way... the Cyclone by the grouping of houses on the Susquehanna Trail is the one I was talking about.. if you continue on the Susquehanna Trail (away from the auction) just past the Cyclone is the shiny new T-121 (same side of the road). I was just as shocked as you are to see it as I hadn't realized that TMI was going back to ASC..... I asked at Strinestown whether it was thier new fire siren... they said it wasn't. Check it out though!! Also in response to the "sirens aren't meant to be pretty" comments.. I agree totallly.. they aren't meant to be pretty and I don't expect them to be... I was just making a passing remark about my opinion on the T-121... it works good and is loud which is what counts.

Dave Fritz

dboyle

Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:24 am

tonight I checked it out, and indeed there is a nice new siren down the street from the Cyclone. I know that siren wasn't there over the summer. During the annual TMI siren test on June 30, I guess two sirens in york county failed. one was in strinestown, according to the news, and the other was "off of I-83". a member of another forum and I were discussing, and agreed that the failed sirens were likely the Penetrators. but, the possibility of a Cyclone failing is indeed significant. since that Cyclone is in someone's yard (the siren was there before the house, most likely), EMA and TMI probably didn't want to distrub their yard replacing the siren, so just installed the new one at what looks like a municipal pump station. That Cyclone is still in place, and wired up. I couldn't see if the new siren had a receiver antenna, but it does have the control and battery boxes. I can't think of anything it can possibly be used for except TMI notification.

the famous "malfunctioning" Cyclone that failed and screamed for 45 minutes was replaced with a 2001 SRNB, but, they left the Cyclone in place. They just moved the power lines from the Cyclone to the 2001. more than once, I thought that cyclone should undergo a change of ownership.

EOWS 612

Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:03 pm

Fort Calhoun has a system RM-127's, Howlers, Penatrators, a Sentry in Fort Calhoun ( there is an RM-127 right across from it :?), and a VERY OLD 2001 in the middle of nowhere.[/b]

Edit: There replacing all of them with 2001-130s.
Last edited by EOWS 612 on Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

FrancieNolan
New User

Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:33 pm

There was an older Penetrator on this backroad in Elizabethtown that malfucntioned one night and was soudning for quite some time. I don't remember when that happened. I used to live in Middletown and it seems as though they are replacing a lot of the Cyclones and Penetrators with newer sirens (I don't remember what they are). I noticed right near Hoffer park they put up a new looking siren right next to a Cyclone, but the wires to the new one are cut. It has been there on a new pole and everything for at least a year, but is not working. Any idea as to why they would put a new siren up and just not use it?

EOWS812

Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:26 pm

E-E-EOWS---812?!?! !WoW!

AllSafe

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:51 pm

EOWS812 wrote:E-E-EOWS---812?!?! !WoW!
Actually it should be called an EOWS 816 because it has eight horns and sixteen drivers driven with a 3200W amplifier- it's a monster.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

EOWS812

Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:03 pm

AllSafe wrote:
EOWS812 wrote:E-E-EOWS---812?!?! !WoW!
Actually it should be called an EOWS 816 because it has eight horns and sixteen drivers driven with a 3200W amplifier- it's a monster.
Ooh! is there a recording of one on youtube?

cyclonesthebest

Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:17 am

dboyle wrote:here in Central PA, we have a mixed list.

the original system was installed in 1982, consisting of Cyclone C-125s. Penetrator 10s were installed to fill in the loose areas. from what I've seen, we have about a 50/50 ratio of Cyclones and P10s.

recently, a bunch of Federal 2001 SRN-Bs have been popping up to add to or replace existing sirens. these have the giant battery boxes on the poles. there was a thing a few years back where people pushed to have battery backup on the siren system, so that's probably why. a few weeks ago, I posted a picture of a 2001 that was installed right next to a decommissioned Cyclone. that's a sad sight. but that was the Cyclone that infamously falsely activated one night in early 2002 and roared for about 30-45 minutes. I stepped outside and heard it. thought it was a car horn, but I knew better. got right outta there, and the street (Potts Hill Road) was lined with evacuees. I've never called 911 and gotten a busy signal until then.

I've often thought about what's gonna happen to that Cyclone up on top of that pole. it's just sitting there, no wires going to it or anything. I bet it sits up there and becomes a giant birdhouse until it rots and someone complains about the way it looks. I wonder how I'd go about taking ownership of it, who to ask or whatever. or, doing it the redneck way and getting 6 friends, a pickup truck and a chainsaw at 1:00 AM. they'll probably never even miss it :lol: just kidding, that's a very bad idea for many, many reasons, and many years in jail.

but I'd be interested in taking legal ownership of a Cyclone.

Peach Bottom is about 20 miles south. they have a Thunderbolt system that gets tested monthly.
whered you post that picture?

we got cyclone(s) here too. ours have never malfunctioned though.
Cyclones are awesome!

AllSafe

Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:11 pm

I wouldn't want to have a 50hp siren unless I lived in the middle of nowhere. Powering one would be interesting, though.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

coyoteunknown

Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:43 pm

I can't say with any certainty, but I believe Russellville, Arkansas uses a system of ATI's. Russellville is home to Arkansas' only nuclear power plant, aptly named Arkansas Nuclear One.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”