Brendan Ahern

No sirens yet again.....

Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:54 pm

Well,

first Chicago dropped the ball with activating the sirens a couple weeks back for a tornado warning and a microburst that did lots of damage, now they don't even test. They were supposed to test today at 10. 10 came and went, as did 10:30. There is not one cloud in the sky. I just dont get it. I even went up on the roof to see how many sirens I could hear from 29 stories up. Oh well, figures I guess.

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:08 pm

I understand how you feel. When the city says it will do something, it should follow through, however, it's not the end of the world if they forget to run a test. I have found that many cities, especially ones back home in the DFW area, will only test about 3/4 of designated test days that would be considered "ok weather."
-The Princess

Joey P 3

Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:46 pm

exactly how my town is, it says that there will be an audible test once a week following a taped message, but i defnately don't hear a test every week...they just test once or twice a year, and at random
Thunderbolts, whelen, 2001, and aca own!

C. Bryant

Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:25 pm

About the same dissapointment :oops: I had with Huntington Beach, Ca.
the last two First Fridays of the month. 12 noon then 12 :15pm
nothing. I admit I was 6.5 miles away and about as high as a 25
story building on Signal Hill , but you could still hear
a Good old T-bolt
or Two, perhaps the newer ACA - American battery Sirens do not
come up to T-bolt standards :?:

kswx29

Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:57 pm

Who activates the sirens for the test? If it is the 911 Center maybe they got flooded with calls and could not sound the sirens at that time. There has been a few times Shawnee County hasn't sounded their sirens because the 911 Center usually sounds them, but at noon will become flooded with calls and won't be able to sound the sirens.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:02 pm

Barrington, IL does that quite often, where they "forget" to test. Though i'm quite surprised, being the city of Chicago.

mgear

Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:37 pm

Our city will test them no matter what even in a storm so people can submit if they can hear it from home in the rain.
Sean Matt

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:41 pm

my town always tests on test day, no matter what the weather.

Brendan Ahern

Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:25 pm

They activate the sirens from the emergency operations center, which is housed in the same building as 911. However, 911 operators do not set off the sirens. So a flood of calls shouldnt matter. Personally, I think they thought today was monday. They did ,however, do the silent test yesterday morning as all the 2001's are facing a different direction than last week. I dont recall them ever skipping the weekly silent test.

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:51 pm

Brendan Ahern wrote:They activate the sirens from the emergency operations center, which is housed in the same building as 911. However, 911 operators do not set off the sirens. So a flood of calls shouldnt matter. Personally, I think they thought today was monday. They did ,however, do the silent test yesterday morning as all the 2001's are facing a different direction than last week. I dont recall them ever skipping the weekly silent test.
Well that's good. At least the city knows that they are funcitoning somewhat. I'm am all for cities that conduct SI tests daily and weekly. That is one good thing about electronic, and most newer generation mechanical sirens.
-The Princess

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”