bwf76

Model A siren

Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:31 pm

I just purchased a Model A type siren from ebay (brand new). Does anyone know where or who could make this into a two tone type siren (like a model 2t, thunderbolt 1000t, etc..) The siren is 110 volt siren. I know on past discussions, Federal Signal no longer will make their outside sirens (Model 2) a dual sounding siren. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

Bryant

Daniel

Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:01 am

Unless you are a gifted machinist, I doubt it could be done. The Australian "Wailing Joe" siren that Justin once overhauled was a dual tone siren that looked like a Model A, so perhaps the rotors are similar. Now you just need to find one of those, which could involve traveling to Oz.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Justin

Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:59 am

Daniel wrote:Unless you are a gifted machinist, I doubt it could be done. The Australian "Wailing Joe" siren that Justin once overhauled was a dual tone siren that looked like a Model A, so perhaps the rotors are similar. Now you just need to find one of those, which could involve traveling to Oz.
Umm... It might have been. Someone said that the "bars" over the stator ports might have been guards to stop things from getting amputated. Footy season's over so I won't be able to get a recording of it, but my guess would be that it would be most likely single tone.

Sorry for the confusion there. I wish I still had those pictures. :(

Wailing Joe is the only one I know of around these parts and I haven't seen any others. I'll keep my eyes peeled for another.

Daniel

Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:45 am

Did the rotor and stator have two sets of ports with different numbers?

Justin

Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:04 am

Daniel wrote:Did the rotor and stator have two sets of ports with different numbers?
Unfortunately because of the angle of the outside horn I couldn't really see that far into the rotor and stator assembly.

I have a gut feeling that those images are on one of my many backups somewhere along the line (and hopefully on my main hard disk), so I'll have a look for them.

Thunderbolt 612

Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:24 pm

No, the Model A was single toned, and had 6 ports, whereas the Model L had 8 ports.

Justin

Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:57 pm

No luck. They're long gone. :(

If I find another, I'll be sure to snap it up. :)

bwf76

Model A

Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:55 am

Thanks to all for checking reference my siren question. If anyone knows anyone that might be able to turn this into a two tone, contact me!!

Thanks again,
Bryant

Daniel

Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:13 am

The only thing I can think of would be to get another similarly-sized siren stator and rotor with a different port count and using a twin-shafted motor to mate it to the Model A, but this would be creating an entirely different siren than a Model A.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”