WoodJ99

Re: Virginia Siren Map

Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:25 am

Bijay wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:39 pm
Thanks Jack! If this stirs something, an image of Lovettsville VFD from vintage aerial doesn't show an Allertor on-site.

https://vintageaerial.com/photos/virgin ... 0334/17/18

But wait, I have a surprise. Out of random luck, I found an image in the area of Lovettsville showcasing an Allertor in the bottom.

https://vintageaerial.com/photos/virgin ... 11921/1/36

Knowing how 200 Allertors were commissioned in the DC area from 1975-1977; mainly being installed in Prince William and Loudoun Counties, it makes you wonder how much still lurk.
It's funny, even being from the area, I never realized until much later than I should have that all of the Allertors in Loudoun Co. were actually part of the DC system back in the day. I did think it was weird to have so many of them at FDs in the same county, but it wasn't until I saw a post on here that I learned they were installed by CD. I always just assumed the FDs had installed them.

3T22_Fan1000
YouTube Username: Baltimore Sirens
Discord: ControllerTehSparten#9421

Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:21 am

could you look into the tornado drill and see if the SRNS in Lorton test with the drill or not?
Maryland Siren Enthusiast

Owner of the Maryland Siren Map

3T22_Fan1000

Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:39 am

also didnt I gave out the testing info on Clarke County. championsiren just talked about shenondoah farms siren and boyce maybe testing

3T22_Fan1000

Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:41 am

If warrentons siren is inactive, then why is it going off for the tornado drill

Bijay
YouTube Username: 5ijay

Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:44 pm

1) SRNs in Lorton don't test, but have been seen in different off positions. They were likely used for the Lorton Reformatory, but that closed in 2001 and has now been turned into a suburban community. I believe sirens are now under control of the user(s) who own the property the sirens are on. I know that you won't find activation equipment anywhere since these are safe-guarded sites.
2) Just got that in. Thanks!
3) From what my knowledge serves me, Warrenton's siren isn't inactive. Let me know if you do have evidence overruling Warrenton's siren being inactive.
Holler!
Bijay/chefiBG
Your unlocal PNW resident!

Email : [email protected]

Bijay

Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:47 pm

Oh, and I should also add Fairfax EM isn't quite aware of Lorton even having sirens... that should already mean how dormant the sirens have been. I know the only one that has been activating every now and then was the one located at the Nike Missile Site, but even that goes every few years at an unknown schedule. The one at the 911 center has been dormant for almost a decade at this point.

If you're looking for an active system nearby, you could hit a section of Ft Belvoir that should at least allow 3 I-Forces to be heard.

EDIT : Fairfax EM is aware, by bad on that part. They do believe that Lorton did retain their sirens for no-apparent reason. I'm pretty sure when the prison closed, the sirens were just left to rot. I don't think there would be an effort to remove them anytime soon either.
Holler!
Bijay/chefiBG

3T22_Fan1000

Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:55 pm

Ok so I talked with the Fauquier County fire dispatch center. I asked them if their Tornado Sirens still does the weekly saturday noon test. The woman on the phone said "No not currently". Then I asked when will the next test be, and she said.. "I don't have the answer to that question". So the next test date is unknown

Bijay

Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:06 pm

BUMP! Finally completed VT Tech's siren system.
Holler!
Bijay/chefiBG

SD-10Lovington
New User

Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:09 am

Theres a siren here in Lovingston. its a SD-10, im not sure if it works cause its the only siren in like, a 10 mile radius.

Bijay

Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:02 pm

Thanks for the location! I wouldn't be surprised if the siren is used for the nearby Fire Department. The department itself has a small micro-siren mounted on the far right corner of the station, but I hardly believe it has any use.
Holler!
Bijay/chefiBG

Return to “Siren Maps”