CarterMasterAlt
YouTube Username: Sirens of Bexar County
Discord: sirensofbexarcounty

Alertus Found on the News (Flagstaff, AZ)

Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:58 pm

I just came across a FOX 10 News video of the New Alertus Warning Sirens of Flash Floods. I cant read the street names because its not in 4k and I want to find the location so if you see one in your area (Flagstaff, AZ only) please reply with the address or if you dont live there and find one, please do the same thing.

FOX 10 News: https://www.fox10phoenix.com/video/1082916

Thanks,
CarterMasterAlt.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Re: Alertus Found on the News (Flagstaff, AZ)

Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:35 am

Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

Snowpix
YouTube Username: ArxCyberwolf
Discord: snowpix7911

Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:07 am

That same Alertus can be seen on Streetview being installed in June 2022
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2049989 ... 384!8i8192
Just a wolf, siren enthusiast and railfan.
Owner of the Civil Defense Sirens Wiki, the best site for accurate siren information.
https://civil-defense-sirens.fandom.com ... irens_Wiki
Proud owner of an FS&S Model L and Sterling Type F!

traintraveler
YouTube Username: Train Traveler

Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:19 am

I find the Alertus sirens particularly cool, because we haven’t seen a lot of European styled horns in the United States before. Nice to see more of them being installed.
High Hoods!
Lord knows I can't change
Lord, help me, I can't change
Lord, I can't change
Won't you fly high, free bird, yeah

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:58 pm

traintraveler wrote:
I find the Alertus sirens particularly cool, because we haven’t seen a lot of European styled horns in the United States before. Nice to see more of them being installed.
There are way more than you think, a ton of colleges and military bases have SiRcom/MadahCom/WAVES sirens (SUNY colleges in NY, a ton if AFBs in Hawaii, etc.) and there are also a decent amount of Hormanns around
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

Eclipse DDS
YouTube Username: Civil Defence Fox

Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:57 pm

traintraveler wrote:
Honestly, it is the exact opposite if you live in Europe/the UK. Just appreciate the abundance of Sentries, Federal Signals and ASCs that you have over there :D
A British siren enthusiast. Previously lived at the furthest point from any sirens before co-discovering one very close to where he is located. Also features a great discomfort referring to themselves in third-person.

traintraveler
YouTube Username: Train Traveler

Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:12 pm

HudsonRiverSirens wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:58 pm
traintraveler wrote:
There are way more than you think, a ton of colleges and military bases have SiRcom/MadahCom/WAVES sirens (SUNY colleges in NY, a ton if AFBs in Hawaii, etc.) and there are also a decent amount of Hormanns around
Sorry, I forgot to specify about these sirens being installed by a municipality. I am well aware of this style of siren sirens being owned by colleges, military bases, etc.
High Hoods!
Lord knows I can't change
Lord, help me, I can't change
Lord, I can't change
Won't you fly high, free bird, yeah

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:27 am

For anyone wondering why these are using the tones they do instead of the typical dual-tone European ones (415/425 Hz), the system in Flagstaff is actually using a newer controller that is made by Alertus. The company previously imported its controllers from Telegrafia or whoever makes their equipment which was evident from the way they sounded and the diagrams in a lot of the literature they published. Essentially the HPSA series was a rebrand of the Pavian series, and if you look at the horns themselves, they are basically the exact same as the Telegrafia ones besides the logo. At some point within the last year or so, Alertus apparently ditched the controllers for their own, probably to cut down on expenses. Telegrafia also updated their controllers with a different amp design, and right around that time, Helin, a German company that used the same controllers with slightly different arrays, changed their controller design as well and started to use what appear to be SiRcom amps in their cabinets. I speculate that the changes are tied to each other given that they happened at around the same time.

These newer controllers do have a tone generator and run at 700 Hz in alert, but I'm not too sure what other tones they can produce and how they sound. They've been using prerecorded tones for almost all of their installations, mostly utilizing Whelen's tone set in their online library if they actually want to make them product tones for warnings. In this case, it looks like they are using Federal Signal's now as well unless that yeow tone is being generated by the controller. They pulled an ATI, although I would probably go with one of these over an HPSS still. For anyone curious to see examples of Alertus systems, Torrance, California has a system of Alertus HPSAs that consists of 2400s, some installed like these and at least one installed like the Pavian 2400s in Dresden, Germany, 1200s, and at least one 600. Those have Telegrafia/Helin controllers. Galena Park, Texas recently installed a system of HPSA-3000s with newer controllers like these.
HudsonRiverSirens wrote:
traintraveler wrote:
Here's a bit of interesting trivia; sorry if I'm derailing the convo, but I have a slight infatuation with European electronic sirens. :lol: Every Marine Corps base in the US and abroad has a system of WAVES sirens. Most of those systems have very dense coverage as well. That branch of the military in particular adopted the WAVES IP-based activation system as their official framework for controller their giant voice systems in the mid to late 2000s, so up until very recently when Eaton decided to drop their support of the series every new siren on a Marine base was a WAVES. A lot of those bases originally had Whelen systems, and some like MCB Camp Lejeune and MCAS Cherry Point still have a few lingering around that have been augmented with WAVES radios and integrated into the system. Outside of the Marine Corps the reason why they hardly ever sold in the civilian market was because of the price. HQE Systems, one of the SiRcom USA dealerships, has had better success at bringing their sirens into the municipality side of things, probably because they aren't charging quite as much of a premium for their equipment. They've basically picked up where Eaton left as far as supporting the bases and colleges with WAVES equipment and have managed to make their way to some of the Air Force bases. The whole situation between WAVES and HQE is so ironic it's almost poetic considering that the WAVES units from MadahCom and Cooper up until around 2006 to 2007 were basically rebranded SiRcom SiBT sirens to begin with.

There aren't many Hoermann ECN sirens left in the US, and the only known system of them in Colorado was replaced by Modulators. They company hardly made any sales here which is probably one of the many reasons why they jumped at the opportunity to acquire ACA back in the 90s. There are a few ASC-made ECN sirens floating around, but there aren't very many out there since ASC pushed the Alertronics over them like they did the Quadren/I-Force series with both the Alertonic and E-Class. After the split from ASC, Hoermann America slowly stopped importing the ECN heads from Germany and started to push the HA series before they became ASI and eventually died off.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”