Justin

Re: All practical advice. Thanks

Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:07 am

JasonC wrote:Its not a toy.
Nor are the lives you are about to indirectly protect.

Do it once, do it right. So if anything goes wrong, you can at least say you covered all the bases. If you say that the siren will work in an emergency, it bloody better work; or you could be in a lot of hot water.

I just hope you understand what your doing and understand all of the consequences, both good and bad. Band-aid and complete-overkill solutions are never ever the best ways to fix things when lives are involved.

Robert Gift

Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:37 am

You're all correct.

Not an inverter, (what would one call it?) my battery-derived three-phase could fail.
But if a storm causes just one or more of the three phases to go out, the siren also fails to operate.

The simplist and most reliable is bring real three-phase to the siren.
We have no money for a pole and planting the pole.
The station roof is a an already-existing good location.

texaschad25

Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:11 pm

Someone needs to come up with a " Beating a dead horse " icon ..

Robert Gift

Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:15 pm

texaschad25 wrote:Someone needs to come up with a " Beating a dead horse " icon ..
Would my photo do?

Robert Gift

Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:57 pm

Uh-Oh, another idea:

Looking at VFDs, I may be able to bypass the AC input and connect batteries to the VFD DC buss.

If power fails, a relay opens and closes contacts placing the storage batteries on line to the buss.
The VFD will produce the three-phase and even ramp up (soft start) the 2t22.

When power is on, we would have single-phase to three-phase production, and battery power when AC fails.

AllSafe

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:23 pm

How about chain-driving the siren with a pair of E-Tec motors? They are very efficient and only need a simple regulator circuit with automatic shutdown.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:46 pm

AllSafe wrote:How about chain-driving the siren with a pair of E-Tec motors? They are very efficient and only need a simple regulator circuit with automatic shutdown.

Please don't feed the animals.

jmev

Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:22 am

I have an idea. I'm going to remove the light switch from my office and to the following to take its place.

I'm going to design and build a PCB that plugs into the USB port on my computer. I will then write a Linux program that draws a virtual light switch on the computer screen. The virtual switch can be operated by the mouse. When you select a light switch position, the computer will generate a 256-bit binary signal and send it ot the USB port and them to my PC board. From the PC board, it will change the level from TTL to RS232 and send that signal to a 128 channel microwave link on the roof of my shop. From the dish, the signal will trave 21 miles to a passive repeater then get reboadcast to another link on the other side of the county. That link will do a bounce from a flat panel array that I mount on a large power transmission tower. The panel will bounce the signal accross the hill and scatter the RF randomly where a one of three voted receivers will pick the signal up and compare it to find the best of three. From there, the signal will go over a lease telco RTNA line back to my town where it will be coverted from the RTNA analog back to digital and fed in to a multiplexer and combined into Verizon's FIOS line. From there, the signal will come back to my shop where I have a dedicated FIOS modem/converter that will convert the light beam into a digital electrical signal. This signal will feed over a 5.8GHz wireless LAN to a second computer on the premisis that is in the utility room. This compter (a MAC) will receive the wireless signal and with another piece of proprietary software, convert this signal into an output to the serial port with another custom designed PCB. This PCB, will send a signal to an contactor center (that controls all lights) and convert it into an X-10 compatible protocol and send over the AC wiring to the light control module insode of the wall where my very simple light switch used to be.

It would work, but wouldn't it be easier to just do it the right way with only a simple light switch and not all of this technical masturbation?

Robert Gift

Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:44 am

AllSafe wrote:How about chain-driving the siren with a pair of E-Tec motors? They are very efficient and only need a simple regulator circuit with automatic shutdown.
I'd like that 4-seat bicycle-powered siren seen in Lion King!

Robert Gift

Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:11 am

jmev wrote:I have an idea. ... It would work, but wouldn't it be easier to just do it the right way with only a simple light switch ...?
The two advantages, if possible, of the Variable Frequency Drive, would be powering the three-phase motor from 240 V. single phase, AND having battery back-up.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”