coyoteunknown

Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:56 pm

Robert Gift wrote:Good idea!
Yes. I have considered the NOAA weather radios.
Much more reliable and informative, especially if our power fails.
Our power comes from the west. It could be knocked out by a tornado, all of which approach from the west.

But I could envision the radios being sold.
Or batteries being allowed to run dead - just as so many smoke alarms have no batteries or dead batteries.
(We have given away smoke alarms with batteries, later to discover them never installed, or without batteries, or dead batteries.)
Sad but not unexpected.
No buts. You can't expect to walk the entire way for people. If you helped them get weather radios and maybe even spare batteries, than you're at least giving them a chance. It's their responsibility to go from there. If they sell the radios, neglect to put new batteries in them, or just don't use them than whatever happens to them is a resort of their inability to act responsibly.

I just have to ask. Are you pushing so hard to get this siren installed so you can play with it during tornado warnings and testing days? If not, than your actions are noble. However, you can't expect to save everyone and to have everyone cooperate.

I can't help but feel that if you were really doing this for the safety of your community, you'd sell that 2T22 in an instant and put the money towards a cheap effective siren.

Justin

Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:01 pm

coyoteunknown wrote:I can't help but feel that if you were really doing this for the safety of your community, you'd sell that 2T22 in an instant and put the money towards a cheap effective siren.
Agreed.
If you've got the logic to figure out how to 'battery-backup' this 2T22 (despite it being completely absurd), you must have some small inner voice, kicking and screaming: "Your making one bloody big mistake!!!". You should know the 2T22 inside out before even toying with an idea as large as that. Your dealing with a very powerful machine and which is very likely to bite hard, should you stick your hands into the 'project' without considering everything. Not just the aspects of delivering power to it. Do you have the necessary qualifications an experience to do it? Do you know if your 'project' is actually legal?

Nothing adds up in this scheme.

texaschad25

Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:31 am

pyramid head wrote:I can not even begin to understand why I keep looking at this topic! I must be in a trance or something. Ehem, if Jason or Chad could step in here... :lol:

Sorry, i had to take a break. Beating that horse was wearing me out....

Is there ANY use to this thread??

Robert, i told you that I would trade you this perfectly functioning >>>SINGLE PHASE<<< HOWLER for your 2T22. I DO have 3 phase and a place to put your 3 phase siren where it will actually serve a purpose protecting a town instead of being a conversation piece. But if you had rather keep it, that is perfectly fine with me and I will put this howler up and be done with it. The offer stands but time is running out. .
:?
Chad

Robert Gift

Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:07 am

texaschad25 wrote:Sorry, i had to take a break. Beating that horse was wearing me out....
Is there ANY use to this thread??
Robert, i told you that I would trade you this perfectly functioning >>>SINGLE PHASE<<< HOWLER for your 2T22. I DO have 3 phase and a place to put your 3 phase siren where it will actually serve a purpose protecting a town instead of being a conversation piece. But if you had rather keep it, that is perfectly fine with me and I will put this howler up and be done with it. The offer stands but time is running out. .Chad
Thanks Chad
But we have no money for shipping.
We do have three-phase 200 feet away.
I just have to dig a trench and bring it over.
My biggest concern with three-phase is that if any leg goes out, the motor doesn't operate.
That's why I like the battery back-up idea.

jshelby861

Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:23 am

Never Mind Sorry
Last edited by jshelby861 on Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Robert Gift

Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:27 am

jshelby861 wrote:No Offense to anyone, But can this topic be locked?
this is not only beating a dead horse but beating the dead horse's grand kids.
Then why not just ignore it?
There is an unsubscribe link.
But this has run its course.

Only thing for me to continue is manufacture of 240 V three-phase from banks of batteries.

Mr. Machine

Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:48 pm

Robert, that ditch could have been dug by now. I've spent more than my share of time running the hickory backhoe (that's a shovel, for those of you with clean hands) and despite any kind of underground surprises... rocks, roots, wires, clay, pipes, etc... there has never been a ditch that couldn't be dug. Besides, a sore back and stiff muscles let you know that you've accomplished something with your own efforts and labor... and it is a good feeling, LOL :D

Never mind the techno-weenie stuff, just get a spade and start throwin some dirt. And whoever said it previously is correct: ALWAYS call your region's one-call number before you dig. Granted, for an organization that puts so much emphasis on itself ("Before you dig, every dig... IT'S THE LAW") they'll send some burnout dips**t with spray cans to mark up everything except what they're looking for... but it is the law, and the penalties can be severe. And, sometimes, they do manage to locate and mark an underground wire or two.

And for the people who complain about reading this or any other thread, I'd like to ask a question: If you're watching TV and see a commercial you don't like, or if you're listening to the radio and you hear a song you don't like, do you...

a) continue watching the commercial/listening to the song, get upset, complain, call the station and ask them not to show/play it anymore? (of course this is after you point out each spelling/grammar error you find)

b) change the channel?

c) turn off the TV/radio and go do something else?

Just curious, is all.

Robert Gift

Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:31 pm

Mr. Machine wrote:Robert, that ditch could have been dug by now. I've spent more than my share of time running the hickory backhoe (that's a shovel, for those of you with clean hands) and despite any kind of underground surprises... rocks, roots, wires, clay, pipes, etc... there has never been a ditch that couldn't be dug. Besides, a sore back and stiff muscles let you know that you've accomplished something with your own efforts and labor... and it is a good feeling, LOL :D
Yes. I have hand dug a lot of ditch in my day.
They don't call me "the ditch bjtch" for nothing!
Now I could be done and enjoying the pain of accomplishment!
But the sewage plant people can't make up their minds. They plan to close the plant and pipe the raw sewage to a municipal treatment plant.
They may move the three-phase pedestal to the other side of the main sewage digester.
(My officers all resoundingly said, "No thanks!" when I offered to make the sewage digester our own private swimming pool.)

pyramid head

Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:50 pm

Thanks Chad
But we have no money for shipping.
We do have three-phase 200 feet away.
I just have to dig a trench and bring it over.
My biggest concern with three-phase is that if any leg goes out, the motor doesn't operate.
That's why I like the battery back-up idea.
Okay...I am going to pick this apart. You want to make either two seperate DC sirens, one DC powered 3 phase siren, or swap the motor for a single phase one. All of that stuff could put a bigger dent in your bank than shipping, given the distance and who you use (do it yourself, and it is going to be alot cheaper depending on certain conditions). I would say the two seperate motors would be at least $500 a pop, not too certain. Then the batteries, another load of money. Proper electronics to put it all together? I don't even want to know. You have your single phase idea, still a good ammount for the motor then you face possible balance or whatever possible problems exsist. battery backup for 3 phase...LOL. I know someone who bought a single phase STH-10 with shipping for $1,000. I would say your best bet is trading up, or getting a different unit if you are not ambitious enough to dig that trench. I understand that you want to hear your baby speak for the first time, but you just will not be able to do it there.
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:39 pm

Robert, I'm not trying to be an @$$hole about this but in my opinion, you have three ways to go:

1. Buy a pole and plant it at the sewage treatment plant then have Xcel wire the siren up to the service for you. Your best option.

2. Trade the 2T22 for a single phase siren. Your second best option.

3. Spend a crap load of money and contact the proper authorities and have the trench line marked for utilities and then dig the trench and finally lay your three phase cable. Your worst option that wouldn't render the siren useless.

As far as the other two options (converting to DC or single phase motor), they would cost more than buying a single phase siren from Sentry and they would be possible killers for the 2T22.

Number one is the smartest thing to do. However, do you what you want as I can't make you do it.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”