JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:00 pm

Robert Gift wrote:I doubt the Chinese "ripped off" ideas.
They are likely original plans developed on their own.

No, they've also ripped off nearly every other products FS makes (including vehicular warning). Federal actually has the Chinese counterfeit copies of their products, but they can't do much about it, since the gov't of China won't cooperate with US laws. The Chinese are very good at reverse engineering already proven technologies.

Robert Gift

Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:29 pm

JasonC wrote:
Robert Gift wrote:I doubt the Chinese "ripped off" ideas.
They are likely original plans developed on their own.
No, they've also ripped off nearly every other products FS makes (including vehicular warning). Federal actually has the Chinese counterfeit copies of their products, but they can't do much about it, since the gov't of China won't cooperate with US laws. The Chinese are very good at reverse engineering already proven technologies.
In China I saw what I thought were Federal Signal Streethawks everywhere.
They even have the flat spot for the logo in exactly the same place.
Illegal exact copies?
I don't understand why they just don't make their own version, even better than the Streethawk. I have two of Streethawks, and I see several improvements which could be easily made.
But as for their big sirens, they are probably original. (Unless their rotors and stators match other manufacturere's units.)

Daniel

Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:02 pm

When I drove a Jetta, I ordered H-4 headlamp assemblies from a Chinese manufacturer that claimed to supply China's division of Volkswagen. The lamps arrived as direct copies of the German-made Hella originals, complete with sanded-off Hella logos (although they missed a couple). The difference was that the Chinese plastic was infinitely cheaper and more flexible, and the beam pattern was nothing like the original. There are many sirens of all shapes and sizes around the world, but only one of them looks like a Model 2. They had to get the idea from somewhere!
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

jmev

Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:21 am

The Chinese Streethawk ripoff is a direct ripoff of style and exterior shape.
The lenses are interchangable and that's it. The rotators have a rubber ring that is friction-driven by the motor shaft like an old "kojack" light.
The wiring is undersize, there is no metal substructure in the base and the switch box that comes with it was designed by an arsonist. I know of a department that bought a Code 3 2100 LED ripoff bar, complete with the 30-day warranty and it filled up with water the first time in the rain. Ha ha.

So far, Federal, Code 3, Tomar and 911 EP were all cloned. Tomar just recently sued several people that sold the ripoff of the 930 TLED bars, including Brooking Industries. The $2000 TLED bar's ripoff costs $685 and I'm sure you get what you pay for. Federal is pursuing importers and distributors right now.

The Lion King "model 2" may possibly be a real Federal Signal siren that is just purchased and resold under their name. If you look closely, you can even see the stickers and tags that come on a real Model 2. Typically, the ripoff products don't have any of these tags. It could also be a ripoff too, but I never saw one in person, nor will I probably ever get to. Good.

China's goal is to take over every aspect of manufacturing and the industrial market of the US. They blatantly rip off everything produced in the US and they know they can get away with it. The Ching-chang government will not cooperate with the US, since they would be slitting their own throat. All that our companies can do is stop the imports of this junk. Like everything (and I mean everything) built in China, the Lion King is guaranteed to be a piece of crapola.

Watch how many morons in the US purchase the car that China is going to import soon (The Cherry....it's spelled differently, but pronounced as cherry) and get royally screwed over and at the same time, screw over the US auto maufacturers like what they are getting from Kia and Hyundai right now.

BUY NORTH AMERICAN!

sirenman1bd

Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:41 am

I say, that Lion King Signals didn't rip off the Federal Signal Model 2, more that they just bought it and slapped their logo on to it. :x
There is a thunderbolt siren in my head, it is always going off...

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”