Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:35 pm

Robert Gift wrote:
Adam Pollak wrote:Would you care to explain that comment Mr Gift? My mom's father was born and raised in China (making me 1/4 Chinese) and I am curious to know what this all-encompassing "Chinaman factor" term means and how it therefore relates to me and anyone else of Chinese descent.
This was meant as humor.
My wife is Chinese.
Compared to caucasians, Chinese are usually smaller in height and weight.
Except her son, 19, who is almost 6'2" and growing.
Robert you'd better quit. You are about to dig yourself in a really big hole that you know nothing about. Drop it. Keep race out of it.
-The Princess

Robert Gift

Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:41 pm

SirenkiD wrote:
Robert Gift wrote:This was meant as humor.
My wife is Chinese.
Compared to caucasians, Chinese are usually smaller in height and weight.
Except her son, 19, who is almost 6'2" and growing.
Robert you'd better quit. You are about to dig yourself in a really big hole that you know nothing about. Drop it. Keep race out of it.
Youqing, 100% Chinese, and her son, 100% Chinese, think it funny, as do I, because it is true.
Just as Saul, my Jewish friend, told me about the "Jewish dilemma": Free Ham.

jmev

Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:41 pm

Can't we all just get along? Where's the purple dinosaur when we need him?

I guess I'm a bona-fide Italian spaghetti-eating pointed-boot wearing greasy dago-wop then? They're only words and nothing more- chink, jap, jew, dago, limey, mick, spook, wetback, honkey, camel jockey, canuck, polack, squaw, cow worshipper...who cares? Did I leave anyone out? Wait...we have a brother from Austrailia on the forum. I can't think of what they call them! He can tell us after he finishes drinking his Foster's. Yes- these words are funny. I can't understand why anyone takes offense to any of these. I'm a honkey dago...who cares? It's hilarious.

Lighten up, everyone. We all like sirens and we're all from different places, are different colors, look different, are different heights and we all certainly have different nicknames for each other.
Last edited by jmev on Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:54 pm

There was a gas powered portable siren similar to this one on eBay (didn't sell) last summer... I didn't happen to save the .pdf of the auction, but I think it may have been the same idea as this one. I recall that it had the chopper mounted horizontally. Did anyone grab a picture of that eBay one?

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

jmev

Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:10 pm

Oh...and the gearbox can be had through www.grainger.com along with many other industrial suppliers.

If you look at the siren, there is apparently a centrifugul clutch on the engine output shaft to allow the engine to start and idle without turning the siren rotor. I like the "learning curve" style finger guard- you stick your finger in just once and learn to never do it again. Great safety ideas, China. You'd make friends with OSHA for sure.

This would be easy to build from many existing sirens. Look at my post a few weeks ago of the model 2 with the external motor. You could easily couple a 3HP vertical shaft gas engine to a siren like this using a common centrifugul clutch that has an integral vee-belt drive. Add a solenoid to the throttle/governor that's controlled via remote control and you have this same thing. A 3HP engine would be plenty of power to run even a model 5 if you use the correct drive ratio with an slip-style unloader clutch and allow the engine to exceed its 3600 RPM governor setting once the rotor is to speed. I'd never use the 90 degree coupler, sincle it's one more point of failure. Most of these 90 degree units cannot take the "pulsed" power of a single cylinder engine and would fail. Besides, it's easier to couple the siren assembly on its side as direct drive to the engine. This Lion King siren looks like it has just adapted from something they already produced (or ripped off).

Robert Gift

Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:13 pm

jmev wrote:... I like the "learning curve" style finger guard- you stick your finger in just once and learn to never do it again. Great safety ideas, China. You'd make friends with OSHA for sure.
... I'd never use the 90 degree coupler, sincle it's one more point of failure. Most of these 90 degree units cannot take the "pulsed" power of a single cylinder engine and would fail. ...
Hey, You left me out.
I'm a mutt, half German, half Dutch, half French-Canadian, half English. half Scotch.
What be me?

Yes, I would try to avoid that 90-degree gear box.
But is the siren sound distribution not better if the stator radiates sound 360 degrees horizontally?

Does anyone make a small engine with a vertical drive shaft that can go straight up into the rotor?

The are so many hazards in China; live 240 V wires within reach, stairways with no hand rails, machinery with no guards, etc.
They simply know enough not to stick fingers where they do not belong.

jmev

Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:01 pm

The vertical shaft would be more efficient. You'd need a coupler from the top of the engine to feed upward, which wouldn't be hard to to. You'd also need a larger HP engine when doing direct drive. If you do horizontal, you could use a Gilmer belt to drive it through any ratio you'd like, hence giving you the ability to use a smaller engine and multiply its torque through the drive ratio. The horizontal one would certainly be less efficient in terms of sound dispersion. (Please tell us you aren't going to try to engine power a 2T22!)

Oh...you're definitely a mutt!

Justin

Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:40 pm

Alright guys, back to the topic at hand.
Whether you may think that your comments about other races (whether in humour or not) can be taken the wrong way by others, so tread very carefully.
Direct attacks however, are punishable by death... I mean banishment.

jmev: Bah, no one drinks that poison around here. We just export it to you lot. :D
As for the comments: I can think of a few, but I won't mention them.

Robert Gift

Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:02 am

jmev wrote:The vertical shaft would be more efficient. You'd need a coupler from the top of the engine to feed upward, which wouldn't be hard to to. You'd also need a larger HP engine when doing direct drive. If you do horizontal, you could use a Gilmer belt to drive it through any ratio you'd like, hence giving you the ability to use a smaller engine and multiply its torque through the drive ratio. The horizontal one would certainly be less efficient in terms of sound dispersion. (Please tell us you aren't going to try to engine power a 2T22!)
Oh...you're definitely a mutt!
Yep.
Ha! -When Xcel told me how much it could cost to bring in three-phase, I thought of that last year.
I envisioned a shaft straight up into the lower rotor intake and coupled to the bottom rotor shaft.
I still want to see what I can do with a bicycle.

Daniel

Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:51 am

Robert Gift wrote: I'm a mutt, half German, half Dutch, half French-Canadian, half English. half Scotch.
What be me?
Scotch is a drink. You are Scottish, unless you're part Kennedy, in which case you might be correct. I don't know any rude names for Australians, but associating them with Fosters is rather unkind. There's nothing funny about us Swiss. We'll always survive.

Regarding the siren, it would seem much simpler to have a horizontal configuration or a vertical engine. Does it have an automatic starter or a pull cord?
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”