StonedChipmunk

Interior amber LED suggestions

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:35 pm

I'm looking into getting myself a new car, since my parents want to push an old baby blue 2001 Crown Vic or a tiny 2005 Subaru Outback on me. Also, being the police and emergency warning fanatic that I am, I plan on installing some small amber interior lights... maybe a small LED arrow stick and 2 front windshield LED pods.

I was interested in the Dodge Charger R/T package, since it looks like a sporty car with good specs yet still retains the comfort of a family car. Plus, it wouldn't be too hard to find lights due to the Charger's increasing police use.

I'm 16 right now, so I probably won't be buying anything until college, 2 years from now. However, I want to look into lighting systems. Since I'll be using this car in California, amber lights are frowned upon for citizens, and rarely legal for traffic control. That's why I'll need to find an extremely low-profile LED arrow stick for the back and some small forward strobes. Any suggestions?

Also - this is purely as a hobby. I don't plan on using these lights in any public situation unless I have a valid legal reason to. That's why I request you don't go and pick out the most expensive lights available... I'm on not much of a budget.

If you've had a good experience with a used light reseller on the web, feel free to post that too. Used would be much better for my price range, since I won't be relying much on the functionality and reliability of the lights and a used, possibly deteriorating system would be fine.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:13 pm

Why not take that money and buy a sound system or neons or something you can actually use? Plus, You'll get more hotties that way.
Last edited by JasonC on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Justin

Re: Interior amber LED suggestions

Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:34 pm

StonedChipmunk wrote:Since I'll be using this car in California, amber lights are frowned upon for citizens, and rarely legal for traffic control.
StonedChipmunk wrote:I don't plan on using these lights in any public situation unless I have a valid legal reason to.
There's your answer right there. I've heard that the California Highway Patrol are pretty anal about certain types of things, so in short: I just wouldn't bother as it could earn you a ticket or two (depending on how happy the officer who pulls you over is). There won't be many opportunities (if any) to use it.
Get something you'll actually use, like a sound system, GPS receiver or a siren (not for the car), rather than some lighting system that you'll hardly use and may not actually be legal for you as a person that doesn't have a need/requirement to posses one. It's just a waste of money.

Nelso90

Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:16 am

My sound system is 2.5" steel pipe.
Best $200 I ever spent on me truck! :mrgreen:

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator

Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:35 am

Nelso90 wrote:My sound system is 2.5" steel pipe.
Best $200 I ever spent on me truck! :mrgreen:

Custom or a Flowmaster? And what kind of truck do you have?

Nelso90

Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:05 am

Actually it's a dynomax system. It's not a "Name brand" system but it's nice.
The truck is a 1998 Ford Ranger with the SOHC 2.5L 4 and a 5-speed stick. I wanted something with a nice rumble to it, and not too loud. I thought the flowmasters were too harsh and loud, and the glasspacks were too quiet. This muffler was just right, pretty loud when I want it, and NO rice rocket fart can sound, which can be tricky for a four. It's got a 3" slash-cut stainless tip, which isn't outlandish, and with a five-speed stick, it sounds just right. I have never driven the truck hard, as the max HP is rated at 4500RPM, and I've never taken it over 4 grand, but that tranny is a slick shifter too!
I got my arse handed to me when I tried a duel with a dodge cummins though, that's why I have motorcycles!

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator

Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:51 am

Oh gah you put an exhaust on your Ranger?? Haha, at least you have a stick shift. I had a 4.0 V6 Ford Explorer. The are comfy vehicles, but they suck off-road (I blew up my transmission in mine). I hated the 2.5L engines. Like their S10 counterparts their acceleration curve sucks. You can floor your Ranger...the computer wont let it go over 4500rpm no matter how hard you try. If anyone out their is reading this and likes smaller trucks/SUV's, get the bigger engines unless you drive like a granny. I drive like a bat and need my power.

Corey Hudson

Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:01 am

Whoa! Amber lights to engines Where the hell have i been?! :shock: :shock: :D
-Corey-

Jim_Ferer

Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:10 am

Chipmunk,

You may have to have a permit in California just for the lights to even be there. They could end up impounding your car!

I'm the safety manager for a big construction company and my company car (Ford Escape) has amber strobes in the corners, amber LEDs by the rear view mirror, and an arrow stick. It's all Sho-Me and it's worked fine. It all cost $1800 installed two years ago.

If you're about to go to college I can think of much better ways to spend $1800. My $1800 was my company's money, not mine.

q2bman

Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:09 pm

How about a corner strobe system. You can get a good one from Galls.com or Ebay for round 200 bucks. Clear tubes in the headlights and reverse lights. There you go. Nice cheap stobe system. LEDS are going down but still expensive. When I was 16 i had a Chevy Corsica with flashing headlights made with a $2 blinker flasher and toggle switch. I bought a halgon dash light, federals dash laser i think?? It was the one with the mirros shroud and single 55wat revolving light. It worked noce. I then progressed to a highlighter mag mount and added two sets of endercover strobes. 4 front and 4 rear. Two different power supplys so the lights would stagger! I loved it. I grew up and have nothing now. It's fun while you're young. Just don't use them when you shouldnt!
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”