Alasiren1977

Nashville, Tn TV News Report on their Sirens.

Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:29 pm

I think it is funny that they said the ATI sirens have a 1 1/2 mile radius of coverage. :roll: Davidson County really needs to stop!!!

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/thous ... ns/6552096

djscrizzle

Re: Nashville, Tn TV News Report on their Sirens.

Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:49 am

Alasiren1977 wrote:I think it is funny that they said the ATI sirens have a 1 1/2 mile radius of coverage. :roll: Davidson County really needs to stop!!!

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/thous ... ns/6552096
I still think that Nashville's really shorting the population in these dead-zones. theres some 39,000 people in such places.

Some second hand rebuilt T-Bolts (I know theres a few left in the city) could really go a long long way in these dead zones for sure.

mgear

Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:26 pm

That's bull, my county has six 2001's, five mods, one fedelcode, and on STL-10, yet it is a larger county with no dead zones!
Sean Matt

djscrizzle

Fri May 09, 2008 7:58 pm

mgear wrote:That's bull, my county has six 2001's, five mods, one fedelcode, and on STL-10, yet it is a larger county with no dead zones!
Nashville is VERY hilly, especially on the south side of town, so thats one reason the sirens dont cover quite as well, but tis still NO excuse for such a shortcoming in their system... Our 550AT can be heard some 5 miles away on Palomino Drive and the actual siren is located in Calhan proper. Palomino Drive is probably closer to 5.5 miles out though. Our terrain is quite flat, thus the long reach.

Alasiren1977

Sat May 10, 2008 3:34 pm

djscrizzle wrote:
mgear wrote:That's bull, my county has six 2001's, five mods, one fedelcode, and on STL-10, yet it is a larger county with no dead zones!
Nashville is VERY hilly, especially on the south side of town, so thats one reason the sirens dont cover quite as well, but tis still NO excuse for such a shortcoming in their system... Our 550AT can be heard some 5 miles away on Palomino Drive and the actual siren is located in Calhan proper. Palomino Drive is probably closer to 5.5 miles out though. Our terrain is quite flat, thus the long reach.
That still is no excuse because Birmingham, Al (where i live currently) is way more hilly and mountainous then Nashville is, and we have a great sounding system. Actually the terrain here almost makes the sirens more harmonic, because of the echo it produces. Nashville has no excuse except that they are being cheap!!! They want the government to spoon feed them federal funds for more sirens so they dont have to pay. Thats sad.

StonedChipmunk

Sat May 10, 2008 6:41 pm

I'm not surprised that they're starting to figure out ATI sucks. I drive through Nashville every month and pass by one near a large police/prison compound - just a typical non-working ATI.
Here in Chattanooga I know there's a bunch of old Thunderbolts - probably 1000s - on top of buildings everywhere. Hamilton County has a lot of Thunderbolts, I hear. I've seen some along I-75, too. Too bad they can't fix them up and use them!

EDIT: Just saw the "spokesperson" for the OEM. Amazing. She obviously has no clue how sirens work. I can tell you one thing - old restored mechanicals definitely do NOT cost $20,000 each, have a MUCH farther range, and are much more noticeable from afar than those pointless steady tones with no windup or winddown.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

Melvin Potts

Nashville, Tn TV News Report on their Sirens.

Sat May 10, 2008 7:37 pm

I saw this video on the evening news.

The 1-1/2 mile quote is totally erroneous. I live about 1/2 mile from the Crieve Hall School siren. There have been a couple of test days when I was OUTSIDE the house at noon..and never heard it!

The terrain certainly plays a part in siren audibility(no matter what city). However, I think that the ATI's high pitched electronic squeal is also part of the problem. It has no "punch" or carrying power.

Willimson County has 3 separate systems: city of Brentwood, city of Franklin, & the county itself. Brentwood has mostly 2001s; Franklin has 2001s and Modulators; Williamson County system is all Modulators.

The Nashville system was only put into operation about 5 years ago. Several years elapsed from the 1998 tornado until the siren installation.

When the siren project was announced the mayor was shown in Centennial Park. An ASC T-121 siren was being demonstrated as part of the presentation. It was revved up to top speed then shut off. This siren has the same DB rating as the 4 speaker ATI(we have a few 8 speaker ones with higher rating)..but its tone would've been more intense and carried much better than the ATI.

Whelen Rules

Sat May 10, 2008 9:57 pm

I remember watching on storm stories or something similar several years ago that the day downtown Nashville was hit in April 1998, Whelen representatives were in town that day demonstrating and providing information on Whelen outdoor warning systems. You are quite right about the terrain in Davidson County being very hilly in areas which does contribute to acoustical anomalies. I think Nashville would have been better off with Whelen, ASC, or even Federal Signal.
Tyler Lund

StonedChipmunk

Sat May 10, 2008 11:16 pm

Whelen Rules wrote:I think Nashville would have been better off with Whelen, ASC, or even Federal Signal.
Whelen Rules wrote:even Federal Signal.
Whelen Rules wrote:even
This is blasphemy! This is madness!
Last edited by StonedChipmunk on Sun May 11, 2008 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

500 AT fan

Sun May 11, 2008 12:44 am

StonedChipmunk wrote:
Whelen Rules wrote:I think Nashville would have been better off with Whelen, ASC, or even Federal Signal.
Whelen Rules wrote:even Federal Signal.
This is blasphemy! This is madness!

-_- You HAVE to be kidding me. Those pieces of scrap on a pole you call a siren wouldn't be as good as this little device. http://www.americansignal.com/products/ ... -AC_sm.jpg

Return to “Videos and Media”