kanazo

Sirens on Junkers Ju 87

Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:05 am

According to Wiki, some of the German Stuka in WWII had "a wind-powered siren under its nose (later mounted to the front upper section of each fixed landing gear strut) that wailed during dives to frighten its victims. These were named Jericho-Trompeten, or "Trumpets of Jericho", by Junkers and were a form of psychological warfare."

And on the other website: "In adition to it's weaponry the Stuka sometimes were equipped with wind-powered sirens on the wheel covers that made a terrible and frightening noice during the dive. Nicknamed "Trumpets of Jericho" - the siren was probably the brainchild of Udet. The bombs were also sometimes equpied with whistles. The siren and the whistles worked as an psychological weapon and imposed fear upon the enemy soldiers under attack."

Has anyone seen or heard such device on a surviving or replica of the planes?

Sound of flying Stuka
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-p ... 154789.jpg
Could the cylinder with grille the cover of siren in this picture?
Greater Vancouver, 0 active sirens...

John in MA

Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:46 pm

What cylinder are you referring to? The one under the nose of the plane is either a radiator or oil cooler, I forget. Actually, the one in your photo doesn't look like a real Stuka. Looks like a replica based on something else.

I believe the little propeller on the port landing strut root is supposed to be for the siren.
Last edited by John in MA on Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:02 pm

Its the little propeller thingy on the port wheel flaring. (the cylinder thing you are talking about is the radiator since that is a water cooled engine)

You've heard these multiple times. Its the classic "dive bomb" sound you hear in cartoons and sound effects all the time. They sound nothing like a normal siren.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98bIX7Yr ... re=related

Corny video, but accurate sound effects. Siren starts just before 2:30

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:20 pm

We've been around about this Ju87 siren before on the board.
Here are the pics I posted of it last time. I'll be dipped if I can figure out how the thing works. Can't tell a thing from the pictures or the drawing.
Yeah, that pic is definitely not a real Stuka. It looks way to small to be a real one and the front doesn't look right either.

Here's one of the last surviving Stukas at RAF Hendon. It doesn't have any sirens on it though. I went there in Sept 1987 when I was in England. It's an unbelievable museum. Being a WWII history nut since I was a little kid the trip to this museum really blew me away.
Last edited by CDV777-1 on Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coyoteunknown

Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:38 pm

Well, I have two theories as to how they could work.

Using the bottom picture as reference, the stator could be within the propeller and the propeller itself could act as a chopper, with those slits on it's side.

Though I can't see similar strips on the propeller on the other pictures/designs. So another theory could be, that again the propeller is acting as a chopper, in which the chopper is hidden within the propeller, and the stator is located on a shaft the propeller is mounted too. Whenever the propeller turns, it acts as a chopper and a chopper/stator design rests behind/within the propeller. However, in this case, it'd actually be louder when the plane has passed you and quieter when it's approaching you. Like a truck with loud rear-mounted exhaust is quieter when heading towards you and louder than s*** driving away from you. :X

Anyways, these are interesting "sirens".

Edit: Ack, he updated the post. I referenced the "artist drawing" of the siren.

Robert Gift

Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:28 pm

Seems those propeller-driven sirens would cause a lot of drag unless the props could be frozen to not turn.
Then they release them to spin as they begin a dive?

Sound produced in the slots in the propeller hubs?

kanazo

Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:08 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdBXApgTWz0
Siren sound can be heard at 0:30 and 0:50
Greater Vancouver, 0 active sirens...

Unit of Civil Defense

Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:48 pm

For those of you who possess Pink Floyd's "The Wall" listen to the sound effects, etc. between "In the flesh?" and "Thin ice" on side 1....sounds like a dive bombing Stuka w/ a siren to me.......Brian

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”