holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Kind of a dumb question

Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:44 pm

I've got a question that I don't have an answer to. Do the older three phase sirens (Model 5, SD-10, xt22, STx-10) have brushes and a commutator in the motor for startup like their single phase counterparts, or do they operate on induction alone?

Just wondering since the position of the windings in three phase motor might provide enough startup torque alone.

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Re: Kind of a dumb question

Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:22 pm

I would think they would still have brushes andcommutators. The reason I say this is because I was just told the other day that all of the older sirens here in Louisville are three phase, and I know that we've had some Thunderbolts that have needed new brushes. If the chopper motor on a three phase TBolt is single phase though, I could be wrong.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

Franz?

Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:42 pm

There is no need or use for brushes in a 3? motor.

If somebody is "replacing" brushes in 3? motors as part of a maintainence program they are scamming somebody.

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Re: Kind of a dumb question

Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:46 pm

ver tum wrote: If the chopper motor on a three phase TBolt is single phase though, I could be wrong.
Only the blower is 3-phase. The chopper and rotator are single phase motors. However, I can't remember what voltage. The chopper is fed by a multi-tap transformer, whose primary comes off one leg of the 3-phase. If nobody else has a firm answer on the voltage of the 2 small motors, I can check the tags on mine later.

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:49 pm

Single phase motors that are split phase or capacitor start do not need brushes as well as any three phase motor. The only single phase motors that need brushes are repulsion-induction and universal type motors as well as DC motors.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”