Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

Diaphone Horns...

Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:39 pm

I don't know why, but ever since I found the video of the Diaphone horn in Cape May, New Jersey on Youtube (link for those who haven't seen it), I've had a huge desire to own one simply because of the cool sound it makes :D

I have no clue what I'd do with it if I did have one (though I can think of some things - driving the neighborhood dogs crazy, scaring squirrels... :twisted: ).

I've been trying to find more info on these things, but I haven't found a whole lot about them.

Can anyone here tell me more about these things?
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:59 pm

Robert Gift

Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:22 pm

Thanks Jason.
I always count on you.

Federal Signal fan

Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:59 pm

Wow, I'm starting to find Gamewell Diaphones and other air horn/whistle related things interesting, I'll look into that Ship Horns site you guys have too.
So, apparently, I like Federal Signal...

Robert Gift

Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:40 pm

Federal Signal fan wrote:Wow, I'm starting to find Gamewell Diaphones and other air horn/whistle related things interesting, I'll look into that Ship Horns site you guys have too.
Gawd.
The illness is spreading.

SirenMadness

Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 pm

The Diaphone is basically a siren with a reciprocating chopper, and a diaphragm as the "motor." Speaking of Diaphones, does anyone remember that monster they used on rocket-launching sites to test for large acoustic effects?
~ Peter Radanovic

Federal Signal fan

Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:11 pm

Robert Gift wrote:
Federal Signal fan wrote:Wow, I'm starting to find Gamewell Diaphones and other air horn/whistle related things interesting, I'll look into that Ship Horns site you guys have too.
Gawd.
The illness is spreading.
I started getting into horns when I was looking for train sounds for my Yahoo! Movies as Santa Fe buff, and I noticed series. Me+Courioustiy+Werid hobbies= another hobby...
So I'll check it out.
:D Robert, I have the illness for EVERYTHING I look at. Just test me. I'm kidding. But I do love trains<A: My Avatar B: My signure>.
So, apparently, I like Federal Signal...

SirenMadness

Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:34 pm

Federal Signal fan wrote: :D Robert, I have the illness for EVERYTHING I look at. Just test me. I'm kidding. But I do love trains<A: My Avatar B: My signure>.
Cool, another train-fan here! I might not have much of an interest in the horns of trains, but, man, do I love to look at trains! :lol:
~ Peter Radanovic

Robert Gift

Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:21 pm

SirenMadness wrote:
Federal Signal fan wrote: :D Robert, I have the illness for EVERYTHING I look at. Just test me. I'm kidding. But I do love trains<A: My Avatar B: My signure>.
Cool, another train-fan here! I might not have much of an interest in the horns of trains, but, man, do I love to look at trains! :lol:
I love everything trains:
Horns, Whistles, and their pitches
Steam locomotives and all their charm and problems
flanges and why they don't derail at frozen grade crossings where the flangeways are full of ice - they should design the crossings differently,
signals, sun kinks, track switches and track crossings, you name it.
I rode in the locomotive videotaping grade crossings from Santa Barbara to San Diego.

slant-40

Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:27 am

For someone who grew up surrounded by diaphones (Elmont, NY), and was initially scared to death of them - I have grown up to not only find great fascination with them, but to own one of my very own.
Say hello to GOOSE, who is the sweetest-sounding low-tone in the whole wide world!
wayne

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”