carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Cincinnati Thunderbolt 1000 Failed to Activate

Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:49 pm

This Thunderbolt 1000 on top of Whitaker Elementary School in the Finneytown/Springfield Twp. area in Cincinnati, Ohio failed to activate for the monthly test on 2/4/09.

I remember hearing this siren sound a few times in 2008, and it when it would sound in alert, it had a few small wavers, which makes me think the brushes may have gone bad. Could it be anything else?

I reported this to the Hamilton County EMA, and they said they will have it fixed, and when they order replacements (most likely T-128s), this will be one of the first to be moved.

There is a system recording in this video, but you will need to turn your speakers up!

I have been worried about this siren for several months, because it has been in the same position for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPl7djOK ... annel_page
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

carexpertandy

Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:45 pm

Guys, I went by it yesterday, and the position has changed, but its not repaired yet. I had noticed where the chopper would be, something else was covering it instead of what would normally go there. So it sounds like the choppper is being reapired, or their waiting for a new chopper.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:05 pm

Is the horn and everything gone? When the chopper is removed the horn has to be pulled also or braced up on the end in some form/fashion.

carexpertandy

Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:42 pm

holler wrote:Is the horn and everything gone? When the chopper is removed the horn has to be pulled also or braced up on the end in some form/fashion.
The horn, blower, and controls are all still there.

Instead of this chopper housing, there was something else.

Jpressman8

Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:56 pm

carexpertandy wrote:
holler wrote:Is the horn and everything gone? When the chopper is removed the horn has to be pulled also or braced up on the end in some form/fashion.
The horn, blower, and controls are all still there.

Instead of this chopper housing, there was something else.
Maybe they had one custom machined for it. I thought that chopper and rotator parts were still available for the Tbolt though. Keep me posted.
five liter V8

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:23 pm

All the chopper motor parts are still available since the model 2 is in production still. The bearings are either 6202 or 87502 and they can be had from NAPA or anyplace else.

Gearbox was made by Abart, and may still be in production.

Other than that I'm not sure what Federal still has for the t-bolts. I know ASC still has parts lying around for their old sirens.

Jpressman8

Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:00 am

holler wrote:All the chopper motor parts are still available since the model 2 is in production still. The bearings are either 6202 or 87502 and they can be had from NAPA or anyplace else.

Gearbox was made by Abart, and may still be in production.

Other than that I'm not sure what Federal still has for the t-bolts. I know ASC still has parts lying around for their old sirens.
That is good to know. I can get parts at cost from Napa through the garage.
five liter V8

carexpertandy

Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:34 pm

Hey guys, the sirens went off today for a severe thunderstorm warning conciding a tornado watch, and I heard that this thunderbolt is fixed.

Now, its 4/5 1000T!

Return to “Videos and Media”