djscrizzle

New DIY Siren Units, Testing a second siren

Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:33 am

I built a *second* siren unit, and have photos of them. I'll test them tomorrow afternoon, and have video up in the A/V section.
The newer of the two sirens is located in the loafing shed, where there is a bomb/tornado shelter. The older of the two is located at the main barn, about 750 feet away.
(Siren on Loafing Shed)

(closer view of the same siren head)

(close view of controls @ barn)

(Siren Controls in Barn)

(Siren head at barn)
Still close enough to a Fed Sig 550AT to drive out on test day: First Friday in May - 7PM!
As of April 15 2010, a certified NWS Skywarn Spotter.

loudmouth

Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:58 am

i know this a probly a dumb idea but. to make it rotate ever if you wanted they have those Antenna rotators at radio shack. some how if you go that to work that would be pretty sweet. though they move realy slow

djscrizzle

Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:11 am

loudmouth wrote:I know this a probably a dumb idea but. to make it rotate ever if you wanted they have those Antenna rotators at radio shack. some how if you go that to work that would be pretty sweet. though they move really slow
I plan on having heads with 4 speakers (omnidirectionals) as the main production model. I'm mostly testing range of one driver as I have 2 sirens and 2 piezo horns installed.
The newer siren has a 10 watt amp, the other has a 125 watts RMS amp on it.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's test videos. One does alert and fast wail. The newer one does alert and Special Function*

* You'll have to see the video to hear the Special Function on siren #2. Hint: its not Hi-Lo, Air Horn, or Attack. Think of a fire alarm.
Still close enough to a Fed Sig 550AT to drive out on test day: First Friday in May - 7PM!
As of April 15 2010, a certified NWS Skywarn Spotter.

Nate

Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:58 am

Random guess: Code 3 tone?

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:02 pm

djscrizzle wrote:
loudmouth wrote:I know this a probably a dumb idea but. to make it rotate ever if you wanted they have those Antenna rotators at radio shack. some how if you go that to work that would be pretty sweet. though they move really slow
I plan on having heads with 4 speakers (omnidirectionals) as the main production model. I'm mostly testing range of one driver as I have 2 sirens and 2 piezo horns installed.
The newer siren has a 10 watt amp, the other has a 125 watts RMS amp on it.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's test videos. One does alert and fast wail. The newer one does alert and Special Function*

* You'll have to see the video to hear the Special Function on siren #2. Hint: its not Hi-Lo, Air Horn, or Attack. Think of a fire alarm.
Would these antenna rotators work OK for a siren? Or is there some other kind of rotation mechanism out there that one can purchase?

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”