ginbot86

Canadian sirens: where are they now?

Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:42 am

In Canada, they took down pretty much all of the sirens that were there. :cry: I know there probably are some in Toronto that don't work, and anyone who lives or lived in Canada that know where some still stand?
--Jason G.
Proud owner of 4 small sirens

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:48 am

Yep, Toronto's CLMs and Mobile Directos aren't used anymore. I know that some places in Canada still use sirens for fire departments and plants.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

SirenMadness

Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:55 am

I know that their Mobile Directos still stand, but I never caught a glimpse of the CLMs there. I know one MB at Harbourfront Center.

They are indeed Mobile Ds, as they have the heavy reducer mechanism.

Notice that little white thing on the intake; I'm pretty sure that's a radio transmitter, considering the siren sits in the presence of two other transmitters.

I took these pictures in June of '07; the sirens should still be left untouched, though.

Sarnia, on the other hand, has a nice mix of Federals, with a Mod, a couple of 1212s, and a T-bolt. What a shame they disconnected their Al6000s! Should I? No, I needn't mention the ATIs.
~ Peter Radanovic

ginbot86

Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:53 am

Those are Mobile D's? I thought those were Allertors.

And Sarnia, you say? Hmm, in the summer when I go there (I mean in Ontario) I gotta check that out. And if not, I think I know where to spot some in Toronto.
--Jason G.

ginbot86

Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:59 am

I've been told that Edmonton has some sirens (I think a few Allertors) are still there... but probably (like Toronto) has them disconnected.
--Jason G.

SirenMadness

Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:45 pm

Those are Mobile D's? I thought those were Allertors.
Yup, if you look at the first picture, you'll see part of the mechanism that is connected to a giant collar gear, I suppose, though you can't see the gear.
And Sarnia, you say? Hmm, in the summer when I go there (I mean in Ontario) I gotta check that out. And if not, I think I know where to spot some in Toronto.
The Modulator is at the VIA station there; you'll get a great ambiance of the Federals, though the T-bolt always seems kinda quiet from there, yet the 1212s are really loud despite being kinda far. Though the Allertronics are "dead," seeing them is always a treat!

If only Windsor still kept their system...
~ Peter Radanovic

ginbot86

Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:17 pm

Darn. I live all the way in Alberta where there the chances of seeing one are almost nil. I'm not too sure about Edmonton; people keep saying there are tornado sirens there.
--Jason G.

SirenMadness

Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:33 pm

LOL, I'm not too sure on any sirens outside of Ontario. :lol:

However, if you're going to Sarnia this summer, their system would be pretty fun to see. I sure hope you're there on a Monday, though. They test weekly, at 12:30 PM, I think.
~ Peter Radanovic

ginbot86

Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:37 pm

Sweet! :D I gotta check that out.
--Jason G.

SirenMadness

Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:44 pm

The last and only two times I've heard their system, in 2007, the Modulator always did Westminster and the EOWSs did whoop. I hope nothing has changed. Their tests are pretty random, too; one time, the Mod did two rounds of Westminster. The Mod also starts later than the other sirens; I almost thought it wouldn't go off. However, the voice messages are pure poopoo; you can't hear a thing they're saying.
~ Peter Radanovic

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”